POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bigger plans! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:11:53 EDT (-0400)
  Bigger plans! (Message 11 to 20 of 45)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Bigger plans!
Date: 9 Nov 2007 10:00:01
Message: <web.4734751ab99a3786726bd13c0@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> Stephen wrote:
> > Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> >> I'd say 3 AWG - but either way, it's less than 1 cm thick.
> >>
> >> Like I said, when they hook up the external generator, it comes with a
> >> cable well over 10 cm thick (!)
> >
> > A lot of that thickness will be insulation, shielding and armor.
>
> Probably.

Not probably but defiantly.

> The plug is physically larger than my head. The whole contraption looks
> like a giant's plaything has fallen out of the sky or something...

Yip and the reverse is true. In the old days, people who worked on high power
equipment thought that electronic connectors looked like toy stuff.

Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 9 Nov 2007 10:02:40
Message: <47347690$1@news.povray.org>
Phil Cook wrote:
> And lo on Fri, 09 Nov 2007 11:44:37 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
> spake, saying:
>
>> Since we store stuff that has to be kept frozen, a power cut is a
>> fairly major event. Our customers won't be too pleased if their $80
>> million project has to be restarted from scratch because the stuff
>> melted! So in the event of a power cut, a big truck comes along and
>> dumps a huge lump of pig iron labelled "CAT POWER" outside our
>> building, with a ridiculously huge cable and a comically over-sized
>> plug on the end. (Seriously, the cable is thicker than some tree trunks!)
>
> And what happens if the firm can't get you a CAT out in time? If it's
> that crucial shouldn't you at least have a CAT UPS or equivalent to tide
> you over.

The thing is:

1. The guys at CAT have a contractual obligation to arrive within X
minutes of being called. If they fail to do this, they must pay us
absurd amounts of money.

2. The freezers don't instantly heat up when the power is turned off.
They have this thing called... thermal insulation. ;-) Not to mention
the specific melting heat of water. (Do you have any idea how much ice

Post a reply to this message

And lo on Fri, 09 Nov 2007 15:02:40 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake, saying:

> Phil Cook wrote:
>> And lo on Fri, 09 Nov 2007 11:44:37 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull>
>> did spake, saying:
>>
>>> Since we store stuff that has to be kept frozen, a power cut is a
>>> fairly major event. Our customers won't be too pleased if their $80
>>> million project has to be restarted from scratch because the stuff
>>> melted! So in the event of a power cut, a big truck comes along and
>>> dumps a huge lump of pig iron labelled "CAT POWER" outside our
>>> building, with a ridiculously huge cable and a comically over-sized
>>> plug on the end. (Seriously, the cable is thicker than some tree
>>> trunks!)
>>  And what happens if the firm can't get you a CAT out in time? If it's
>> that crucial shouldn't you at least have a CAT UPS or equivalent to
>> tide you over.
>
> The thing is:
>
> 1. The guys at CAT have a contractual obligation to arrive within X
> minutes of being called. If they fail to do this, they must pay us
> absurd amounts of money.

Yeah, but that's little compensation if as a result businesses stop using
you and you fold

> 2. The freezers don't instantly heat up when the power is turned off.
> They have this thing called... thermal insulation. ;-) Not to mention
> the specific melting heat of water. (Do you have any idea how much ice

I'm just wondering as to the overall cost of a CAT UPS over the cost of
the contract to bring in a CAT generator, which would also run all your
electrical equipment.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

> And lo on Fri, 09 Nov 2007 15:02:40 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
> spake, saying:
>
>> The thing is:
>>
>> 1. The guys at CAT have a contractual obligation to arrive within X
>> minutes of being called. If they fail to do this, they must pay us
>> absurd amounts of money.
>
> Yeah, but that's little compensation if as a result businesses stop
> using you and you fold

I don't think you understand what I mean by "absurd amounts of money". ;-)

[As in, like, if companies *did* stop using us, we'd *still* have so
much money it wouldn't even matter...]

>> 2. The freezers don't instantly heat up when the power is turned off.
>> They have this thing called... thermal insulation. ;-) Not to mention
>> the specific melting heat of water. (Do you have any idea how much ice

> I'm just wondering as to the overall cost of a CAT UPS over the cost of
> the contract to bring in a CAT generator, which would also run all your
> electrical equipment.

Well, I'm sure somebody will have looked at that and decided it's not
worth it. (I would think that for more than 3 seconds of cover, you'd
need a battery larger than our entire office...)

Post a reply to this message

And lo on Fri, 09 Nov 2007 16:08:36 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake, saying:

> Phil Cook wrote:
>> And lo on Fri, 09 Nov 2007 15:02:40 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull>
>> did spake, saying:
>>
>>> The thing is:
>>>
>>> 1. The guys at CAT have a contractual obligation to arrive within X
>>> minutes of being called. If they fail to do this, they must pay us
>>> absurd amounts of money.
>>  Yeah, but that's little compensation if as a result businesses stop
>> using you and you fold
>
> I don't think you understand what I mean by "absurd amounts of money".
> ;-)
>
> [As in, like, if companies *did* stop using us, we'd *still* have so
> much money it wouldn't even matter...]

Sounds like you need a power cut, a narrow road, a tree, and a chainsaw.

>>> 2. The freezers don't instantly heat up when the power is turned off.
>>> They have this thing called... thermal insulation. ;-) Not to mention
>>> the specific melting heat of water. (Do you have any idea how much ice

>>  I'm just wondering as to the overall cost of a CAT UPS over the cost
>> of the contract to bring in a CAT generator, which would also run all
>> your electrical equipment.
>
> Well, I'm sure somebody will have looked at that and decided it's not
> worth it. (I would think that for more than 3 seconds of cover, you'd
> need a battery larger than our entire office...)

You'd think.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com