POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bigger plans! : Re: Bigger plans! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:15:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bigger plans!
From: Alain
Date: 9 Nov 2007 21:38:53
Message: <473519bd@news.povray.org>
Invisible nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/11/09 07:36:
> scott wrote:
>>> (Woah - 63A? o_O Anybody know what thickness of copper it takes to
>>> handle that kind of currentl? That's gotta be more like a girder than
>>> a wire!)
>>
>> Roughly double your standard 13A cable would do...  Look at the cable
>> going to the starter motor on your car, that's usually 100A or so.
>
> 1. A car runs on 12V electrics, not 250V. Does that make a difference?
To my knowlege, only on the insulation.
The diameter of a cable is dictated the number of amps, it's insulation by the
volts.

> 2. Is maximum load proportional to diameter or cross section area? (The
> latter is quadratically propertional to diameter.)
Would be the cross section. But you have proportionatly less surface area to
evacuate any generated heat.

>> Can't you print it out tiled, ie 8 A3 sheets (or however many it is)
>> then just put them together?
>
> Well, in principle yes. In practice, I very much doubt you'd ever get
> the pieces to line up properly. (Ever notice how map books *always* put
> the place you want to look at in the crease?) Plus I'm having enough
> trouble finding somewhere to put an A3 printout without it getting
> crinkled up... :-S
>
> Apparently the planners have access to an A0 printer. I don't even want
> to imagine what that must cost... ;-)
The price is irrelevent when the equipment allows you to do your job. Also,
often, the highest priced options turns out to be the cheapest... in the long run.
Many mechanics can tell you: "I can't afford to buy any but the best tools
available, whatever the price!"
This is also true for engineiring firms.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when you invented glasses that can be