POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bigger plans! : Re: Bigger plans! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:15:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bigger plans!
From: Phil Cook
Date: 9 Nov 2007 11:02:48
Message: <op.t1i70cdoc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Fri, 09 Nov 2007 15:02:40 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake, saying:

> Phil Cook wrote:
>> And lo on Fri, 09 Nov 2007 11:44:37 -0000, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull>
>> did spake, saying:
>>
>>> Since we store stuff that has to be kept frozen, a power cut is a
>>> fairly major event. Our customers won't be too pleased if their $80
>>> million project has to be restarted from scratch because the stuff
>>> melted! So in the event of a power cut, a big truck comes along and
>>> dumps a huge lump of pig iron labelled "CAT POWER" outside our
>>> building, with a ridiculously huge cable and a comically over-sized
>>> plug on the end. (Seriously, the cable is thicker than some tree
>>> trunks!)
>>  And what happens if the firm can't get you a CAT out in time? If it's
>> that crucial shouldn't you at least have a CAT UPS or equivalent to
>> tide you over.
>
> The thing is:
>
> 1. The guys at CAT have a contractual obligation to arrive within X
> minutes of being called. If they fail to do this, they must pay us
> absurd amounts of money.

Yeah, but that's little compensation if as a result businesses stop using
you and you fold

> 2. The freezers don't instantly heat up when the power is turned off.
> They have this thing called... thermal insulation. ;-) Not to mention
> the specific melting heat of water. (Do you have any idea how much ice

I'm just wondering as to the overall cost of a CAT UPS over the cost of
the contract to bring in a CAT generator, which would also run all your
electrical equipment.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com