POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Word processors Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:15:06 EDT (-0400)
  Word processors (Message 1 to 10 of 102)
From: Invisible
Subject: Word processors
Date: 5 Nov 2007 07:07:14
Message: <472f0772$1@news.povray.org>
If you write stuff in LaTeX, you can ask for a section heading or a
subsection heading, and LaTeX will automatically take care of all
formatting for you. Indeed, it will even build a table of contents if
you want.

If you write stuff in HTML, you can also ask for various levels of
headings. And using CSS, you can tune exactly what the result looks
like. For example, if you suddenly decide that you want all the level 2
headings in italics, you can change 1 line of CSS and the whole document
is instantly updated to match.

And yet, no known word processor works like this. I find this deeply
frustrating. I should be able to just hilight some text and say "this is
a heading" and all the formatting should *just work*. But I have yet to
find a word processor that can do this. And it irritates the hell out of me!

Both Word and OpenOffice provide "styles", but good luck figuring out
how to work them. In particular, Word provides styles called "Normal",
"Heading 1", "Heading 2", etc. But it seems to be physically impossible
to *change* these styles. And what the hell is the point of a style that
you can't change? Being able to instantly change all the headings in
your document at once is the entire *point* of styles!! So why make them
read-only?

(I've just moved from Word 97 to Word 2003. It's really quite amusing
watching it create millions of useless style objects each time I press a
formatting button. It would be far more amusing however if I could
actually *use* styles to do something useful...)

As for OpenOffice Writer, here again we have styles. Except that here
the style system is way more complex; I really can't figure it out.
There seems to be several types of styles depending on what they apply
to and... I'm confused. Also, once again the defaults are not to my
liking, but there appears to be absolutely no way to change them. (Short
of editing each one by hand, for all several million. It also appears to
be impossible to remove unwanted styles...)

Seriously. I want to be able to create sections and subsections, and *I*
want to choose what these look like. Is that really so hard? Why has
nobody implemented this simple feature yet??

(In particular, I utterly *hate* sans serif fonts. Yet all these
programs always default to it. GRR! At least Excel lets you change the
default worksheet font; OpenOffice Calc seems to lack any such option...)

Post a reply to this message

> And yet, no known word processor works like this.

Hahaha what? You mean you don't know how to use Styles in Word?  How on
Earth do you write anything longer than a few pages efficiently?

> Both Word and OpenOffice provide "styles", but good luck figuring out how
> to work them. In particular, Word provides styles called "Normal",
> "Heading 1", "Heading 2", etc. But it seems to be physically impossible to
> *change* these styles.

Get up the style and formatting tool bar, then just click the style
drop-down menu and choose "Modify...".

> Seriously. I want to be able to create sections and subsections, and *I*
> want to choose what these look like. Is that really so hard? Why has
> nobody implemented this simple feature yet??

A million other people want to do exactly what you say, and actually do do
it everyday in MS Word.

> (In particular, I utterly *hate* sans serif fonts. Yet all these programs
> always default to it. GRR! At least Excel lets you change the default
> worksheet font; OpenOffice Calc seems to lack any such option...)

Go to Word, change the "Normal" style to use Arial font, then save the
document as NORMAL.DOT (search to see where your NORMAL.DOT is currently
located and overwrite it).  Job done.

Post a reply to this message