POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Demos Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:10:05 EDT (-0400)
  Demos (Message 1 to 10 of 38)
From: Orchid XP v7
Subject: Demos
Date: 29 Oct 2007 14:51:19
Message: <472639b7$1@news.povray.org>
At the weekend, I downloaded and tried out every demo nVidia have ever
made. (Well, except for the first one, which wouldn't download. And the
last few, which require a GeForce 8 series.)

The first one was literally a crystal ball. In other words, they were
showing off using environment mapping to simulate reflection. Hmm. Oh
well, it does say "Requires GeForce 2 or better"...

Anyway, actually most of the demos were pretty unimpressive. I mean, I'm
sure they're technically quite advanced. But not much fun to look at.

It wasn't until I reached "Dawn" that I was impressed. That's one pretty
impressive fairy. (Um... and the reason she's wearing almost nothing
is...? Hmm, I wonder who their target demographic is? *wink*) Her sister
"Dusk" is impressive too.

And then we have "Nalu", the mermaid. Fairly technically-impressive, if
a little uninteresting. (She doesn't really "do" much.) Being
underwater, the skin tones don't seem quite so "wow!", if you see what I
mean.

Well anyway, the thing that really blew me away was "Luna and the
Occular Oracle". I mean... woah. 0_0 Watch it and you'll see what I
mean. Graphically it's fairly impressive stuff. But scenematically...
Seriously, WHAT THE HELL where these guys smoking when they came up with
this stuff?? It's like a far-out acid trip or something... wow. Just
wow. Oh, yeah, and the graphics are fairly impressive. But that's not
what I was most looking at... heh.

Oh, and now half the demos won't uninstall cleanly. But then, a few of
them wouldn't run properly in the first place. In general, all the demos
seemed pretty buggy. Hmm... great advert!

Post a reply to this message