POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Demos : Re: Demos Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:19:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Demos
From: Darren New
Date: 29 Oct 2007 18:24:06
Message: <47266b96@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   You mean that nvidia deliberately put some code in their display driver
> that detected that you are running, for example, 3DMark, and if so it has
> a special code which converts the triangle meshes given by 3DMark to the
> driver to ones with less polygons so that the graphics card will appear
> to run faster than it really would?

Yep!  And you wonder why video drivers under Windows crash the system so
often.

They also tend to do stuff like notice they're being tested by microsoft
for approval and stop skipping steps they don't think they "really"
need, but which they normally skip in order to get better performance at
the expense of correct results.

I've seen it done with other programs, too, like C compilers noticing
they're compiling SPECmark suites and such.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we