POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Short one Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:18:10 EDT (-0400)
  Short one (Message 1 to 10 of 129)
From: Orchid XP v7
Subject: Short one
Date: 7 Oct 2007 16:48:54
Message: <47094636$1@news.povray.org>
I was looking through a list of WinAmp visualisation plugins to
download. I found my old favourite, Geiss.

Geiss is probably "the best" program of its kind to exist. It was really
the first plugin that did more than just some monochrome osciliscope
lines. Back when it came out, just running it would melt CPUs... Today
we're more fortunate! ;-) Others have tried to do the same thing, and
indeed some of them have more options and features and buttons. But few
achieve the same style and simplicity as Geiss. It's just really well
thought out!)

I noticed one of the user comments. It basically says

   "I was spoiled when I first tried this all those years ago. You will
be spoiled too. And, after tweaking the options while listening to your
favorite tunes, you'll notice it's THE NEXT FREAKIN' DAY!!1!!!!"

Made my literally LOL... ;-)

Post a reply to this message

Hey, where have versions 4 through 6 of you gone ?

Yeah, I know, off-topic, sorry ;-)

--
Vincent

Post a reply to this message

>I was looking through a list of WinAmp visualisation plugins to download. I
>found my old favourite, Geiss.
>
> Geiss is probably "the best" program of its kind to exist. It was really
> the first plugin that did more than just some monochrome osciliscope
> lines. Back when it came out, just running it would melt CPUs... Today
> we're more fortunate! ;-) Others have tried to do the same thing, and
> indeed some of them have more options and features and buttons. But few
> achieve the same style and simplicity as Geiss. It's just really well
> thought out!)
>
> I noticed one of the user comments. It basically says
>
>   "I was spoiled when I first tried this all those years ago. You will be
> spoiled too. And, after tweaking the options while listening to your
> favorite tunes, you'll notice it's THE NEXT FREAKIN' DAY!!1!!!!"
>
> Made my literally LOL... ;-)

One of my favourites too, although even on the latest processors it still
struggles to achieve 60 (or even 30 sometimes) FPS at high resolutions (read
1920x1200).  I wonder if they could rewrite it using the graphics card, the
routines used look like they would lend themselves very well to being
written on the graphics card.

Post a reply to this message

> I was looking through a list of WinAmp visualisation plugins to
> download. I found my old favourite, Geiss.

Ah yes, I remember Geiss.  Back before I used foobar2000.  Don't really
know of anything remotely as spiffy that works with fb2k tho.  :(

--
Tim Cook
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-empyrean

Post a reply to this message

"Tim Cook" <z99### [at] bellsouthnet> wrote in message
> Orchid XP v7 wrote:
> > I was looking through a list of WinAmp visualisation plugins to
> > download. I found my old favourite, Geiss.
>
> Ah yes, I remember Geiss.  Back before I used foobar2000.  Don't really
> know of anything remotely as spiffy that works with fb2k tho.  :(
>
> --
> Tim Cook

I was always partial to http://www.afn.org/~cthugha/ which may have been one
of the very first. It's from the BBS of my online adventures anyway.

Post a reply to this message