POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Short one : Re: Short one Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:19:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Short one
From: scott
Date: 8 Oct 2007 03:49:30
Message: <4709e10a@news.povray.org>
>I was looking through a list of WinAmp visualisation plugins to download. I
>found my old favourite, Geiss.
>
> Geiss is probably "the best" program of its kind to exist. It was really
> the first plugin that did more than just some monochrome osciliscope
> lines. Back when it came out, just running it would melt CPUs... Today
> we're more fortunate! ;-) Others have tried to do the same thing, and
> indeed some of them have more options and features and buttons. But few
> achieve the same style and simplicity as Geiss. It's just really well
> thought out!)
>
> I noticed one of the user comments. It basically says
>
>   "I was spoiled when I first tried this all those years ago. You will be
> spoiled too. And, after tweaking the options while listening to your
> favorite tunes, you'll notice it's THE NEXT FREAKIN' DAY!!1!!!!"
>
> Made my literally LOL... ;-)

One of my favourites too, although even on the latest processors it still
struggles to achieve 60 (or even 30 sometimes) FPS at high resolutions (read
1920x1200).  I wonder if they could rewrite it using the graphics card, the
routines used look like they would lend themselves very well to being
written on the graphics card.