POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Short one : Re: Short one Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:18:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Short one
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 8 Oct 2007 13:16:40
Message: <470a65f8$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> One of my favourites too, although even on the latest processors it
> still struggles to achieve 60 (or even 30 sometimes) FPS at high
> resolutions (read 1920x1200).  I wonder if they could rewrite it using
> the graphics card, the routines used look like they would lend
> themselves very well to being written on the graphics card.

I find this post shocking on a number of levels...

When I first had Geiss, I remember my mum's poor old Pentium I 233 MHz
thing with 16 MB RAM *dying* trying to run it. The poor thing would
stutter along at roughly 12 FPS with 320x240 at 30% letterbox. Last
night, I tried it on my current PC. Even at the highest settings I could
use, it was still exceeding 75 FPS. Seriously, the screen was just a
blur. It was *way* too fast.

I'm very puzzled as to why anyone would want more than 25 FPS. I'm also
confused as to how on earth you managed to put it into 1920x1200. (Mine
won't let me go above 1280x1024.) And finally, I'm puzzled as to why you
would consider any of this "slow". But there we are...