POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The Orange Box... Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:45:10 EDT (-0400)
  The Orange Box... (Message 1 to 10 of 27)
From: Kyle
Subject: The Orange Box...
Date: 15 Oct 2007 23:48:33
Message: <tmc8h3hi227qhlnvpn508cou709pee69r5@4ax.com>
... makes me mad.  What happened to the black box, anyway?  The whole gifting your old
games idea is
a steaming pile of crap.  All I want is Episode 2 and Portal.  I've already got HL2
and Episode 1.
I don't really care about Team Fortress 2.  If I only buy the two I want, it'll be as
much as The
Orange Box.  Not cool.  I guess I'll wait until Episode 3 comes out so that I can get
Episode 2 for
9.99.  Portal should be around 5.99 by then.  Thanks for taking care of your current
customers,
Valve.  :-p

Post a reply to this message

"Kyle" <hob### [at] gatenet> wrote in message
> ... makes me mad.  What happened to the black box, anyway?  The whole
> gifting your old games idea is
> a steaming pile of crap.  All I want is Episode 2 and Portal.  I've
> already got HL2 and Episode 1.
> I don't really care about Team Fortress 2.  If I only buy the two I want,
> it'll be as much as The
> Orange Box.  Not cool.  I guess I'll wait until Episode 3 comes out so
> that I can get Episode 2 for
> 9.99.  Portal should be around 5.99 by then.  Thanks for taking care of
> your current customers,
> Valve.  :-p

You aren't the only one, pisses me right off as well.  I actually posted in
the halflife group about this, bad move, I got flamed about it!  They must
love handing out cash for stuff they allready own!

Cheers Dre

Post a reply to this message

From: Slime
Date: 16 Oct 2007 03:14:01
Message: <471464b9$1@news.povray.org>
I think if the Orange Box didn't contain HL2 or HL2:E1, they would have
still priced it the same. They're only including those to encourage people
who aren't prior customers; they're well aware that most of their customers
already have those games. As you pointed out, the package has the same price
of two of the three new games in it, so it's a discount for those who want
all three new games.

In one trip to the mall, I can find a hundred things that I'd really like
but don't think are worth the money. There's no point being upset about
simple economics: the things that are worth their price I buy, and the
things that aren't I don't.

That aside, I suggest giving TF2 a try if you haven't yet, it's fun.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 16 Oct 2007 05:56:36
Message: <47148ad4@news.povray.org>
"Another compilation, The Black Box, was also planned. This would have
contained only the new material (HL2: Episode Two, Portal, TF2) but
was later canceled for retail, and will only be available through Steam"

  Ok, I can live with that, but it continues:

"to owners of the ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT graphics card. These owners
receive a voucher for a free copy of The Black Box through Steam which
can only be transferred along with the graphics card."

  What the hell?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Fa3ien
Date: 16 Oct 2007 08:39:03
Message: <4714b0e7$1@news.povray.org>

> "Another compilation, The Black Box, was also planned. This would have
> contained only the new material (HL2: Episode Two, Portal, TF2) but
> was later canceled for retail, and will only be available through Steam"
>
>   Ok, I can live with that, but it continues:
>
> "to owners of the ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT graphics card. These owners
> receive a voucher for a free copy of The Black Box through Steam which
> can only be transferred along with the graphics card."
>
>   What the hell?

I'm glad I stopped playing videogames. It's getting foolish.

Fabien.

Post a reply to this message

From: Kyle
Date: 16 Oct 2007 15:17:41
Message: <rd3ah3tlnfi2gt54gah36ioqvn7gvq5t2d@4ax.com>
On 16 Oct 2007 05:56:36 -0400, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>"Another compilation, The Black Box, was also planned. This would have
>contained only the new material (HL2: Episode Two, Portal, TF2) but
>was later canceled for retail, and will only be available through Steam"
>
>  Ok, I can live with that, but it continues:

Too bad it's not really available via Steam, though.  Only the Orange Box is.

>"to owners of the ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT graphics card. These owners
>receive a voucher for a free copy of The Black Box through Steam which
>can only be transferred along with the graphics card."
>
>  What the hell?

Umm, yeah, I agree, what the hell?!?  Now, I wonder what voucher they get now, since
Black Box is not available after all.

Post a reply to this message

From: Kyle
Date: 16 Oct 2007 15:19:50
Message: <ql3ah3l8od9jpo169p876urbbvl60ingop@4ax.com>
On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 15:34:01 +1100, "Dre" <aus### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

>I got flamed about it!

Nice.

Post a reply to this message

From: Kyle
Date: 16 Oct 2007 15:25:51
Message: <qn3ah3p6jj5mlel34ehqh0cjokii66q2od@4ax.com>
On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 00:13:51 -0700, "Slime" <fak### [at] emailaddress> wrote:

>I think if the Orange Box didn't contain HL2 or HL2:E1, they would have
>still priced it the same.

Perhaps, but it sure makes me feel like I'm getting the shaft, since I already own the
prior games.  Now, if I purchase the Orange Box and "gift" my two games, then some
other poor sap is stuck in the
same position that I am.

Post a reply to this message

From: Kyle
Date: 16 Oct 2007 15:27:22
Message: <624ah3tq81n5i82rd50la4cus4ugkq3q4b@4ax.com>
BTW, has anyone played Episode 2 yet?  It looks like, according to the trailers, that
there are some pretty cool open areas to fight in.  Is it still as linear as the prior
episodes?

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 16 Oct 2007 16:24:56
Message: <47151e18$1@news.povray.org>
Played it. Can't complete it (because the ending is absurdly hard). But
definitely the most enjoyable game in the HL2 series so far. (You'll
recall I loved HL1 and was rather dissapointed with HL2 and friends.)
Yes, it's still mostly linear. But it doesn't "feel" quite so linear,
and you get to see stuff that's actually *interesting* along the way...