POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core Server Time
12 Oct 2024 01:16:22 EDT (-0400)
  Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core (Message 71 to 80 of 170)
From: Gail Shaw
Subject: Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core
Date: 23 Oct 2007 17:09:49
Message: <471e631d@news.povray.org>
news:471e2d2f$1@news.povray.org...

> >> not just wasted because lazy programmers couldn't be bothered to fix
> >> their code.
> >
> > Why on Earth should they optimise a program for minimum-RAM footprint
> > that uses only 10MB in the first place??!?!  It would be a total WASTE
> > of time and money for precisely ZERO benefit.
>
> It saddens me that these days people think producing a superior product
> is "a waste of time".

It is a waste when there's no return on the time spent. Software is a
business. If you write software for a software house and tell the planners
and designers that you need a week to optimise the code so that it takes a
quarter of the memory it would otherwise need, they'll likly to tell you to
get lost. That week is a week not spent adding features to the program, and
its features that sell, not efficiency or beauty of code.

That's the reality of the software business. When you're writing code for
fun, you can spend several days getting things as optimal as you like,
because you're working on your own time.

Ref: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000980.html

Post a reply to this message