POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core : Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core Server Time
12 Oct 2024 03:17:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 24 Oct 2007 13:44:27
Message: <471f847b$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 13:21:47 -0400, Warp wrote:

>> (a) sloppy
>> declaration of the variable type, letting the default signed value be
>> used rather than specifying an unsigned data type
>
>   How exactly would that solve the problem? The only difference would be
> that instead of seeing something like "-1234" you would see something
> like "4294966062" (or "18446744073709550382" if they are using 64-bit
> values), which isn't any more helpful. In fact, it's actually worse
> because it's even more confusing.

Because the problem was caused by an overflow condition in the
calculator.  IIRC, I did the math, and the value was in fact correct,
just with the wrong sign.  But the fact that it evaluated as a negative
number threw all sorts of other issues with regards to filesystem
compression and problems with server-based programs that were checking
for free space and seeing there was none available when in fact there was
more than enough.

Jim