POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core : Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core Server Time
12 Oct 2024 03:17:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mac Plus vs AMD Dual Core
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 24 Oct 2007 12:48:01
Message: <471f7741@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:08:59 +0200, scott wrote:

> Look, nobody in the world apart from you cares if Word uses up 10MB or
> 6MB of RAM,

Um, not nobody.  It's bothered me for a long time that as computers get
faster and faster that coding gets sloppier and sloppier.

I realise the realities of software development (given that I work for a
software company), but if coders were taught to make their code efficient
to start with, then it would be less of a problem.  The problem doesn't
start in the software development houses, it starts at school when
students are learning how to code and are taught bad habits from the
start.

If coders learned how to write efficient code to start with, there would
be less wastage of memory in a system (regardless of whether it's a 64K
system or a 4 GB system), and wasting less memory means more can be done
with the system at any given time.

Jim