POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Short one Server Time
12 Oct 2024 03:16:48 EDT (-0400)
  Short one (Message 50 to 59 of 129)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Short one
Date: 13 Oct 2007 12:09:35
Message: <4710edbf$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Bios settings can be reset, and hard drives can be physically transferred
> to other computers.

Supposedly, the new Vista full-drive encryption prevents this, storing
the password somewhere on the motherboard or some such, even if you
chose not to have a USB key.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 Oct 2007 17:17:09
Message: <471135d5$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 06:50:16 -0400, Warp wrote:

>> >   You mean some OS can stop someone from booting from a CD and wiping
>> > the HDs, for example?
>
>> My brand-new HP Pavillion has settings in the hardware that do just
>> that,
>
>   The hardware is not the OS.

No, really?  In the end, I don't care if it's the OS or the hardware, if
I can restrict the usage in a corporate environment in that way, I don't
particularly care which it is.

The end result is what *I'm* looking at.

>> in fact.  Password protect the bios and disallow booting from any
>> device other than the hard drive.
>
>   Bios settings can be reset, and hard drives can be physically
>   transferred
> to other computers.

Sure, so what you do is lock it in a room where only authorized users can
access it, bolt it to the desk, and lock the case.  Sure, they *could*
come in with a sawzall and cut the lock, bolts, or case open, but they're
likely to be seen.

Computer security ain't just about the OS, it's about the entire system.
If you try to practice security using *only* the OS, you *will* fail.

>   Bios passwords are only a deterrent. They are not secure.

Again, depends on the level of physical access to the system.

Jim

Post a reply to this message