POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Short one : Re: Short one Server Time
11 Oct 2024 23:10:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Short one
From: scott
Date: 15 Oct 2007 07:59:54
Message: <4713563a@news.povray.org>
>> Well I guess if they showed he had used it every day for the last 5 years
>
>  Big Brother is watching? I'm not comfortable with where this is going...

If you've just been arrested (and had your PC taken away) on suspicion of
downloading child porn (or whatever), then I think the police could quite
easily get records of your activity online, they may have even been spying
on you already.

It's then up to the jury what they think after all the facts have been
presented.  It's not going to look good if you conveniently "forgot" the
password to work your computer the day it was confiscated, but you managed
to work it fine for the last few years.

Besides, the ISP will probably have records of what you did online, and I
suspect some expert lab would be able to look at the PC and say how recently
a lot of the data on the disc had changed (ie was the drive re-encrypted
with a different key recently).