POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Short one Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:15:15 EDT (-0400)
  Short one (Message 120 to 129 of 129)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Short one
Date: 19 Oct 2007 00:28:23
Message: <47183267$1@news.povray.org>
Tim Cook wrote:
> Warp wrote:
>>   If there's a law that says that spying on users without special permit
>> is not allowed, a license agreement saying "I give permission for the
>> police to spy on me" will not change the fact in any way. Such license
>> agreement is ineffective and invalid. At least in general here.
>
> So my freedom to choose to allow someone to spy on me is removed in the
> name of 'privacy'.  In the end, we willingly giving up freedoms, as long
> as we know about it.

Yes, because most such contracts are contracts of adhesion. In other
words, you don't really have a choice what the terms are, because
there's no negotiating going on.  Can you pay the ISP another $.50 a
month to not turn your records over to the police? No. Is there another
ISP in the region with the same speed and capability? No. Then it's
reasonable for the populace to get together and say "we disagree that
it's OK for you to force this choice upon us."

Welcome to society. Enjoy your stay. :-)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     Remember the good old days, when we

Post a reply to this message