POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 3D mouse! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:16:49 EDT (-0400)
  3D mouse! (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: scott
Subject: 3D mouse!
Date: 14 Sep 2007 04:59:18
Message: <46ea4d66$1@news.povray.org>
I got myself one of these today:

http://www.3dconnexion.com/3dmouse/spacenavigator.php

It is the business - true 6 DOF movement and a dream to use, it's so smooth.
The thing is a good weight and feels really solid and well built (the base
is a pretty chunky bit of machined steel).

The idea is you use it with your left hand while using the mouse with your
right hand.  It feels a bit weird to start with, but once you get the hang
of it (which doesn't take long) you wonder how you ever managed to navigate
in 3D with your mouse.

It works in Catia like a dream, and also works in google Earth for cool 3D
flying about.  Support in Blender seems a bit pants though, but I see they
are working together to fix this for the next release.

I was also wondering if someone could interface the Wii controller with a PC
to control 3D graphics rotation/movement - should be possible, but probably
doesn't have the accuracy or resolution.

Post a reply to this message

> It is the business - true 6 DOF movement and a dream to use, it's so
> smooth. The thing is a good weight and feels really solid and well built
> (the base is a pretty chunky bit of machined steel).
>
> The idea is you use it with your left hand while using the mouse with
> your right hand.  It feels a bit weird to start with, but once you get
> the hang of it (which doesn't take long) you wonder how you ever managed
> to navigate in 3D with your mouse.
>
> It works in Catia like a dream, and also works in google Earth for cool
> 3D flying about.  Support in Blender seems a bit pants though, but I see
> they are working together to fix this for the next release.
>
> I was also wondering if someone could interface the Wii controller with
> a PC to control 3D graphics rotation/movement - should be possible, but
> probably doesn't have the accuracy or resolution.

I don't do CATIA without one anymore. It feels natural and is very fast
while accurate. the model I have is older but nonetheless efficient.
have fun.

marc

Post a reply to this message

> I don't do CATIA without one anymore. It feels natural and is very fast
> while accurate. the model I have is older but nonetheless efficient. have
> fun.

Do you know if it is possible in Catia to make the model rotate about the
screen centre rather than the model centre?  When you are zoomed in close on
a small part, as soon as you rotate the small part flies off out of view.  I
can't seem to find any setting to change this behaviour...

Post a reply to this message

>> I don't do CATIA without one anymore. It feels natural and is very
>> fast while accurate. the model I have is older but nonetheless
>> efficient. have fun.
>
> Do you know if it is possible in Catia to make the model rotate about
> the screen centre rather than the model centre?  When you are zoomed in
> close on a small part, as soon as you rotate the small part flies off
> out of view.  I can't seem to find any setting to change this behaviour...

I use catia V4

There you select a point (after?) pressing CTRL+F3 which will be used as
rotation centre.

If this is V5 you are using ask me in one year, then the next project
will be done in V5 and us stress engineers get a training, too.

Marc

Post a reply to this message

>> Do you know if it is possible in Catia to make the model rotate about the
>> screen centre rather than the model centre?  When you are zoomed in close
>> on a small part, as soon as you rotate the small part flies off out of
>> view.  I can't seem to find any setting to change this behaviour...
>>

> I use catia V4
>
> There you select a point (after?) pressing CTRL+F3 which will be used as
> rotation centre.
>
> If this is V5 you are using ask me in one year, then the next project will
> be done in V5 and us stress engineers get a training, too.

Hmmm,. yes it is V5.  With the mouse I shift-middle click on a point and
then everything rotates about that point.  But the spaceball still continues
to rotate about the model center rather than the point I just clicked.  Just
wondered if there was a setting somewhere to fix that, because ATM that is
the one thing that annoys me most :-)

Post a reply to this message