POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Virtual insanity Server Time
12 Oct 2024 00:17:04 EDT (-0400)
  Virtual insanity (Message 51 to 60 of 123)
From: Tim Attwood
Subject: Re: Virtual insanity
Date: 22 Sep 2007 20:34:18
Message: <46f5b48a$1@news.povray.org>
"M_a_r_c" <jac### [at] wanadoofr> wrote in message

> 46f512e9@news.povray.org...
>> Yes, the 'j' does make it harder to hit the roll on the "r".  Been
>> practicing, and it's a challenge.
>> --
>> Cheers,
>>  Brian
>

> My Spanish teacher at shool gave us a training phrase "El general
> Zumalacarregui es verdaderamente un grande general"
> the "g" is pronounced same as jota before a "e" or "i" and the "v"  as a
> "b" (v de vaca , b de buey to spell the difference)
>
> Marc
Sounds like this?
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?ggjere01.wav=Jerez

Post a reply to this message

From: M a r c
Date: 23 Sep 2007 04:01:00
Message: <46f61d3c$1@news.povray.org>

46f5b48a$1@news.povray.org...

> "M_a_r_c" <jac### [at] wanadoofr> wrote in message
>>

>> 46f512e9@news.povray.org...
>>> Yes, the 'j' does make it harder to hit the roll on the "r".  Been
>>> practicing, and it's a challenge.
>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>>  Brian
>>

>> My Spanish teacher at shool gave us a training phrase "El general
>> Zumalacarregui es verdaderamente un grande general"
>> the "g" is pronounced same as jota before a "e" or "i" and the "v"  as a
>> "b" (v de vaca , b de buey to spell the difference)
>>
>> Marc
> Sounds like this? > http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?ggjere01.wav=Jerez
Eerrr  it looks like pronounced with a strong american accent :-)
The "j" is too soft, the "r" is not rolled , the second "e" is pronounced as
a diphtong but should have only one short sound (monophtong) as in "pet" and
the "z" should sound as English "th" as in "truth", not as "s"
This one is closer (yet the jota is not hard enough)
http://www.yourdictionary.com/ahd/pron/J0031700.wav
It's easy to understand why English had dropped "Jerez" for "Sherry" :-)

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 24 Sep 2007 02:54:18
Message: <46f75f1a$1@news.povray.org>
>> Sounds like this? >
>> http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?ggjere01.wav=Jerez
> Eerrr  it looks like pronounced with a strong american accent :-)
> The "j" is too soft, the "r" is not rolled , the second "e" is pronounced
> as a diphtong but should have only one short sound (monophtong) as in
> "pet" and the "z" should sound as English "th" as in "truth", not as "s"
> This one is closer (yet the jota is not hard enough)
> http://www.yourdictionary.com/ahd/pron/J0031700.wav
> It's easy to understand why English had dropped "Jerez" for "Sherry" :-)

The (English) guys on TV seem to pronounce it "hereth"... don't know how
close that is to what it should be (no sound on this PC).

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v3
Date: 24 Sep 2007 11:52:06
Message: <46f7dd26$1@news.povray.org>
It is 1 week today since I last heard from her. I sent her an email on
saturday, but she hasn't answered.

Oh well, I guess that's the end of that then... :'{

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 24 Sep 2007 12:13:01
Message: <46f7e20d$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 16:52:24 +0100, Orchid XP v3 wrote:

> It is 1 week today since I last heard from her. I sent her an email on
> saturday, but she hasn't answered.
>
> Oh well, I guess that's the end of that then... :'{

It's very possible she's got other things going on in her life - don't
give up yet....

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v3
Date: 24 Sep 2007 15:37:56
Message: <46f81214$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 16:52:24 +0100, Orchid XP v3 wrote:
>
>> It is 1 week today since I last heard from her. I sent her an email on
>> saturday, but she hasn't answered.
>>
>> Oh well, I guess that's the end of that then... :'{
>
> It's very possible she's got other things going on in her life - don't
> give up yet....

That she has other things going on in her life is completely beyond
question. (She just spent a week in some random country on a few hours'
notice from her employer for example.)

That *I* am an extremely low priority amoung those things seems somewhat
irrefutable also, sadly...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 24 Sep 2007 18:50:19
Message: <46f83f2b$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 20:38:13 +0100, Orchid XP v3 wrote:

> That she has other things going on in her life is completely beyond
> question. (She just spent a week in some random country on a few hours'
> notice from her employer for example.)
>
> That *I* am an extremely low priority amoung those things seems somewhat
> irrefutable also, sadly...

Well, a lower priority, perhaps, than making a living.  These things
happen, don't let them discourage you.

Remember:  DON'T ASSUME.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 25 Sep 2007 02:51:34
Message: <46f8aff6@news.povray.org>
> Oh well, I guess that's the end of that then... :'{

  That may be one big problem of yours: You give up too easily.
You have been depressed by too many failures and you have a pessimistic
attitude towards such things and thus you immediately assume the worse.
  I know. I have been there. Heck, I *am* there.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v3
Date: 25 Sep 2007 03:33:22
Message: <46f8b9c2$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>> Oh well, I guess that's the end of that then... :'{
>
>   That may be one big problem of yours: You give up too easily.

Perhaps.

These things all come down to a reasonable sense of balance.

On the one hand, if you give up too easily you never get anywhere. On
the other hand, you don't want to let somebody string you along forever.
Need to draw the line somewhere.

I haven't completely given up on this one yet, but it's not looking good...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v3
Subject: Game over
Date: 25 Sep 2007 08:38:22
Message: <46f9013e$1@news.povray.org>
Well, I finally managed to get back in contact. My joy was short-lived
though. Apparently in "the next month or so" she's moving house to a
place many hours' drive from here.

I feel sick. Physically.

Life is just so violently unfair. The ONLY thing I want in this world is
to have a girlfriend. And no matter what I do, this goal remains
completely unattainable.

I feel so miserable right now...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/