POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My laptop is a binge drinker Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:15:16 EDT (-0400)
  My laptop is a binge drinker (Message 1 to 10 of 26)
From: Bill Pragnell
Subject: My laptop is a binge drinker
Date: 10 Sep 2007 06:28:30
Message: <46e51c4e$1@news.povray.org>
So, last night I knocked over a full can of beer onto my MacBook. Which
was open, turned on and rendering (as usual). Most of the spillage went
directly onto the keyboard. As you can imagine, I let out a set of
strangled expletives and fairly levitated from my chair to deal with the
catastrophe.

I turned it off, tipped the excess beer off the keyboard and took out
the battery. Then I spent the best part of an hour trying to find a set
of screwdrivers small enough to permit a careful disassembly; having
found some, I then sat down and, well, carefully disassembled it. A bit
of respect to Apple here - I was expecting to have to break something at
this point, but the entire keyboard lifted off in its entirety with a
minimum of fuss (although there were about 15 screws in the battery bay
alone that I didn't immediately notice). I took out the RAM too.

Next, I liberally hosed down the keyboard and laptop interior with lab
grade ethanol, soaked up the excess with paper towels, played a cold
hairdryer over the whole thing for a few minutes and left it to dry. As
I type, there it still sits.

I will reassemble it this evening and fire it up to see what's what. In
the meantime, does anyone have any additional advice?

:-\

Post a reply to this message

> A bit of respect to Apple here - I was expecting to have to break
> something at this point, but the entire keyboard lifted off in its
> entirety with a minimum of fuss (although there were about 15 screws in
> the battery bay alone that I didn't immediately notice). I took out the
> RAM too.

Yeh, most laptops have very easily removed keyboards, I guess so suppliers
can replace with region-specific keyboards without having to take the whole
thing apart.  My Dell has 4 or 5 screws on the back that are even labelled
"K" :-)

> I will reassemble it this evening and fire it up to see what's what. In
> the meantime, does anyone have any additional advice?

Nope, sounds like it should be fine.  The only problem will be if some of
the keys are "sticky", that can sometimes be really hard to fix totally -
but if you rinsed it off before the beer started to dry it shouldn't be a
problem.

Good luck!

Post a reply to this message

> So, last night I knocked over a full can of beer onto my MacBook. Which
> was open, turned on and rendering (as usual). Most of the spillage went
> directly onto the keyboard. As you can imagine, I let out a set of
> strangled expletives and fairly levitated from my chair to deal with the
> catastrophe.
>
> I turned it off, tipped the excess beer off the keyboard and took out
> the battery. Then I spent the best part of an hour trying to find a set
> of screwdrivers small enough to permit a careful disassembly; having
> found some, I then sat down and, well, carefully disassembled it. A bit
> of respect to Apple here - I was expecting to have to break something at
> this point, but the entire keyboard lifted off in its entirety with a
> minimum of fuss (although there were about 15 screws in the battery bay
> alone that I didn't immediately notice). I took out the RAM too.
>
> Next, I liberally hosed down the keyboard and laptop interior with lab
> grade ethanol, soaked up the excess with paper towels, played a cold
> hairdryer over the whole thing for a few minutes and left it to dry. As
> I type, there it still sits.
>
> I will reassemble it this evening and fire it up to see what's what. In
> the meantime, does anyone have any additional advice?
>
> :-\

just make sure it gets enough exercise so it doesn't get a beer belly......

Post a reply to this message