POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My laptop is a binge drinker : My laptop is a binge drinker Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:12:48 EDT (-0400)
  My laptop is a binge drinker
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 10 Sep 2007 06:28:30
Message: <46e51c4e$1@news.povray.org>
So, last night I knocked over a full can of beer onto my MacBook. Which
was open, turned on and rendering (as usual). Most of the spillage went
directly onto the keyboard. As you can imagine, I let out a set of
strangled expletives and fairly levitated from my chair to deal with the
catastrophe.

I turned it off, tipped the excess beer off the keyboard and took out
the battery. Then I spent the best part of an hour trying to find a set
of screwdrivers small enough to permit a careful disassembly; having
found some, I then sat down and, well, carefully disassembled it. A bit
of respect to Apple here - I was expecting to have to break something at
this point, but the entire keyboard lifted off in its entirety with a
minimum of fuss (although there were about 15 screws in the battery bay
alone that I didn't immediately notice). I took out the RAM too.

Next, I liberally hosed down the keyboard and laptop interior with lab
grade ethanol, soaked up the excess with paper towels, played a cold
hairdryer over the whole thing for a few minutes and left it to dry. As
I type, there it still sits.

I will reassemble it this evening and fire it up to see what's what. In
the meantime, does anyone have any additional advice?

:-\