POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Screw Loose Change Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:44:58 EDT (-0400)
  Screw Loose Change (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: Warp
Subject: Screw Loose Change
Date: 9 Sep 2007 17:35:50
Message: <46e46736@news.povray.org>
I'm not really very eager to post about such controversial subjects as
conspiracy theories because they tend to only spawn flamewars which are
not constructive. However, I decided to make an exception with this.

  There exists a video called "Loose Change" which presents arguments
pro the 9/11 conspiracy theory. Normally I wouldn't care about such
things, but the thing is that in this video in particular the author
has actually succeeded in making a pretty convincing "documentary" by
skillfully using carefully-selected half-truths, partial quotations,
misleading evidence and, in some cases, purely false information (but
presented in a rather convincing way). The end result can be very
convincing to someone who doesn't know better.

  The problem with these kinds of arguments is that any sane person who
does not believe in the conspiracy theory, if they are presented them,
will have hard time counter-argumenting them because they have been so
skillfully created. If you haven't made extensive research on the subject
it will be almost impossible for you to present factual counter-arguments.

  I have actually been in this kind of situation myself, precisely with
the 9/11 conspiracy theory. Personally I think the conspiracy theory is BS
and has nothing of truth in it, but when I was first confronted with the
"evidence" I just didn't know what to say because I simply didn't know
what was it all about. It's rather depressing not being able to present
any factual counter-argumentation to such theories and "evidence" simply
because you don't know the facts.

  The vast majority of the "evidence" presented by the Loose Change
"documentary" has a pretty simple and logical explanation, which makes
a whole lot more sense than what the explanation the conspiracy theorists
present for that "evidence". It's just that if you haven't done any
research on the subject you simply can't know this simple explanation.

  Someone has made a "commented" edit of the Loose Change "documentary",
debunking point by point (using textual remarks) all the "evidence" given
in the video. It's very long (3 hours), but I thought it was so interesting
that I watched it in its entirety in one go.

  I think anyone who believes that the 9/11 conspiracy theory has nothing
of truth in it should watch this video. I think it's good to know what
the conspiracy theorists are claiming, and what are the real explanations
for those things. Most of the explanations are simple and easy to
understand, and make very much sense.

  Also anyone who is douting what to believe should watch it too. Maybe
it will give you the right perspective on this whole thing.

  And for those who are convinced that there's a conspiracy, I suppose
it doesn't matter if you watch it or not. You won't believe the debunking
in any case, so you could probably save 3 hours of your time. (And in case
anyone here is such a person, then please, pretty please, don't start a
flamewar.)

  The beginning of the video is a bit confusing (mainly because it's at
first a bit difficult to differentiate between the original video and the
added textual commentary), but it gets clearer soon after that. Just keep
watching.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3214024953129565561&q=Screw+Loose+Change&total=67&start=10&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=5

--
                                                          - Warp