POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Screw Loose Change : Re: Screw Loose Change Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:12:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Screw Loose Change
From: Sherry Shaw
Date: 10 Sep 2007 08:25:51
Message: <46e537cf@news.povray.org>
Tim Cook wrote:
> Ooh, here's another good example of 'the media' not presenting the whole
> story, skewing what people think of something:
>
> http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,504423,00.html
>
> has a quote markedly absent in most of the other 'wa ha, humans are
> smarter than apes', namely "Human children are not overall more
> intelligent than other primates," concluded the lead researcher, Esther
> Herrmann of Germany's Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology
> in Leipzig, "but instead have specialized skills of social cognition.
> They learn in a way that chimpanzees don't learn."
>
> then there's this gem, a comment by another scientist in the same field:

http://news.google.com/nwshp?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&oe=UTF-8&channel=s&tab=wn&ned=us&ncl=1120425672&hl=en&btclp=1&scoring=r

Human Supremecist Party Line:  "We *must* be vastly superior to the
apes--we're toolmakers!  Oh, sure, an ape will select a rock to use as a
nutcracker, or strip the leaves off a stick to make a termite fishing
tool, but *we* make tools just all the time!"

I'd be inclined to guess that the percentage of people who have actually
made a tool is probably higher here than in some other places, though
this may depend on whether you consider a computer program to be a tool
(and I don't count "using the good butcher knife to open a can of
evaporated milk because you can't find the magnetic church key that's
stuck to the side of the fridge" as toolmaking).  But, anyway, I got to
thinking about this a few years back on a camping trip.

When it was time to set up the tent, I looked around and found a nice
rock to use to hammer in the stakes.  Later, after the campfire was
built, I stripped the leaves off a couple of long, thin sticks to make
weenie-cookers...

Well, it just made me think, that's all.

--Sherry Shaw

--
#macro T(E,N)sphere{x,.4rotate z*E*60translate y*N pigment{wrinkles scale
.3}finish{ambient 1}}#end#local I=0;#while(I<5)T(I,1)T(1-I,-1)#local I=I+