POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A very interesting article about light pollution Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:44:58 EDT (-0400)
  A very interesting article about light pollution (Message 21 to 30 of 35)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 5 Messages >>>
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: A very interesting article about light pollution
Date: 12 Sep 2007 13:10:50
Message: <46e81d9a@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 17:39:03 +0100, St. wrote:

> "Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:56:20 +0100, Phil Cook wrote:
>
>> Side-lights?  I don't think we've got that over here....
>
>    Yes, you have, I think on Harley-Davidsons at least...
>
>    IIRC, the indicators act as side lights, (always on), and then when
>    the
> person wants to turn left or right, the correct side flashes.
>
>    I might be wrong with the term 'side lights' with this though...
>
>     ~Steve~

Ah, OK - now I know what you mean.  I have seen some of those that are
quite bright, but nothing like a halogen or tungsten bulb in the face.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 12 Sep 2007 13:15:05
Message: <46e81e99@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 17:05:47 +0100, Phil Cook wrote:

>> Well, yes and no....I don't mind the halogens if they're aimed
>> properly.
>
> Too many self-fit jobs, put in at the same time the boot (trunk) was
> filled in with bass speakers.

See, self-fit should just not be allowed.  Except for me - though what
I'd *really* like is a train horn.  That'll get people's attention!

>> And put a gizmo in the seat to shock the driver if they drive with only
>> their DRLs or lights off after dark.
>
> Okay I'm going to equate DRL with sidelights (which, if right, answers
> your last question) sidelights are visiblilty aids - full lights to see,
> sidelights to be seen; in other words drizzle, light fog, twilight. Use
> where full lights give you no real aid in seeing where you're going, but
> you want to make sure you're seen.

Nope, DRLs are running the headlamps at 50% on high - it's a new-ish
thing over here to "improve visibility".

> So saying that if you're driving along a lit street, you don't legally
> require your full lights on as the street lights provide enough
> illumination and your sidelights provide enough of an indication as to
> your prescence.

Here, I believe the law says that you must use your headlamps after dusk,
regardless of the light level in the street itself.

But at the same time, bicycle riders are required to have lights, and
usually don't - I nearly ran one over last night who was dressed all in
black (which certainly didn't help) and decided to cross in front of me.

Pet peeve #73 - bicyclists who can't decide if they're a motor vehicle or
a pedestrian.  Ride in the car lane, then run the red light (as per
jaywalking).  Make up your friggin' mind!

> Yet again it should be one of those driver decision things, which has
> been revoked by cars that just switch them on by default.

I like the few cars I've driven with auto lamps, but also like that those
vehicles (I think the Ford Taurus/Mondeo has that option) allow the
driver to override the switch.

Jim

Post a reply to this message