POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A very interesting article about light pollution : Re: A very interesting article about light pollution Server Time
11 Oct 2024 19:14:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A very interesting article about light pollution
From: Phil Cook
Date: 13 Sep 2007 07:29:11
Message: <op.tylbi6xcc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Wed, 12 Sep 2007 18:15:05 +0100, Jim Henderson
<nos### [at] nospamcom> did spake, saying:

> On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 17:05:47 +0100, Phil Cook wrote:
>
>>> Well, yes and no....I don't mind the halogens if they're aimed
>>> properly.
>>
>> Too many self-fit jobs, put in at the same time the boot (trunk) was
>> filled in with bass speakers.
>
> See, self-fit should just not be allowed.  Except for me - though what
> I'd *really* like is a train horn.  That'll get people's attention!

A steam whistle would be fun.

>>> And put a gizmo in the seat to shock the driver if they drive with only
>>> their DRLs or lights off after dark.
>>
>> Okay I'm going to equate DRL with sidelights (which, if right, answers
>> your last question) sidelights are visiblilty aids - full lights to see,
>> sidelights to be seen; in other words drizzle, light fog, twilight. Use
>> where full lights give you no real aid in seeing where you're going, but
>> you want to make sure you're seen.
>
> Nope, DRLs are running the headlamps at 50% on high - it's a new-ish
> thing over here to "improve visibility".

Yep that's the fellow - lights off, lights dim, lights on, lights full
(high beam). You need at least one of the latter three when driving at
night, one of the latter two when driving along unlit streets. I may be
using old-fangled terms with 'sidelights'.

> But at the same time, bicycle riders are required to have lights, and
> usually don't - I nearly ran one over last night who was dressed all in
> black (which certainly didn't help) and decided to cross in front of me.

Light on the front, light plus reflector on the back here; that's a
red-line MUST (i.e. legal requirement) for night cycling and yes we get
exactly the same problem.

> Pet peeve #73 - bicyclists who can't decide if they're a motor vehicle or
> a pedestrian.  Ride in the car lane, then run the red light (as per
> jaywalking).  Make up your friggin' mind!

Yep again a red-line illegality here and yes something they do all the
bloody time.

>> Yet again it should be one of those driver decision things, which has
>> been revoked by cars that just switch them on by default.
>
> I like the few cars I've driven with auto lamps, but also like that those
> vehicles (I think the Ford Taurus/Mondeo has that option) allow the
> driver to override the switch.

Provided the drivers know this, are told this, and remember this.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com