POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Power Server Time
12 Oct 2024 03:16:46 EDT (-0400)
  Power (Message 61 to 70 of 133)
From: Orchid XP v3
Subject: Re: Power
Date: 4 Sep 2007 14:40:21
Message: <46dda695$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> Without *anything* happening, it uses 110 W.
>
> Ah good to know, it's roughly what I suspected...

Pretty tiny compared to the 20 W or so my laptop uses when idling.

(But then... no 3D graphics, only 1 HD, lower clock speed, etc.)

>> With my stonking-great video card with a fan the size of a plannet, it
>> uses 190 W. (Roughly. It waivers a lot.) During the boot sequence it
>> tops 280 W. (Presumably when all those electric motors all start up at
>> once...)
>
> It seems to me that before Windows gets going (or more specifically all
> the device drivers) everything just runs in max power mode.  Once
> Windows is in charge of the PC it can then back things off like the GFX
> card and putting the CPU in sleep mode when it's not needed.
>
> OOC what power does it use when you're doing nothing in the BIOS
> settings screen?

Hmm, I'll go check it out sometime...

BTW, when I installed Linux on my dad's laptop, we discovered something
interesting. We tried to install the software, but the machine began to
behave more and more strangely. Eventually I noticed that the laptop was
utterly *scalding* hot to the touch. We rebooted it, and the various
fans immediately kicked in at full power.

We discovered that if you boot into Linux while the fans are off, they
stay off. And if they're running when Linux starts, they stay running -
no matter how cold the machine gets. Weird, eh?

Once the laptop was cold, Linux installed just fine...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

Post a reply to this message