POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Power : Re: Power Server Time
15 Oct 2024 20:17:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Power
From: andrel
Date: 4 Sep 2007 15:33:17
Message: <46DDB3FB.3070208@hotmail.com>
Orchid XP v3 wrote:
>>> And when I start up the engine of my car, the various parts move far
>>> too fast for the eye to follow. But you *can* see the blur of moving
>>> objects, and there is little doubt that they're moving. ;-)
>
>> Why do you think that those frequencies are far above 50 Hz?
>
> My engine *idles* at several thousand RPM...
The significant character here is 'M'

>> What sound does your motor make? Can you find the base frequency on
>> your keyboard?
>
> Surely that's just the resonant modes of the exhaust system and the chasis?

Whatever it is, that is what you see. If it moves faster than 50 Hz you
either see it not moving at all or, viewed in the right direction, as a
semitransparent surface. If you can prove that you can see something
moving at, say 200 Hz, I have a couple of friends working on the retina
that would be most interested in such a physiological anomality. ;)