POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Power : Re: Power Server Time
15 Oct 2024 20:22:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Power
From: andrel
Date: 4 Sep 2007 16:47:23
Message: <46DDC559.6070408@hotmail.com>
Orchid XP v3 wrote:

>>> My engine *idles* at several thousand RPM...
>> The significant character here is 'M'
>
> Hmm. What is 2,000 RPM in Hz? 33 Hz? That's interesting...

>>> Surely that's just the resonant modes of the exhaust system and the
>>> chasis?
>>>
>> Whatever it is, that is what you see. If it moves faster than 50 Hz
>> you either see it not moving at all or, viewed in the right direction,
>> as a semitransparent surface.
>
> AFAIK, the retina sees the "integral" of incident light over time,
> roughly.
Not really
> So I'm not sure why an object moving fast enough would appear
> to stop moving. Become invisible, perhaps, if it's small enough...
>
>> If you can prove that you can see something moving at, say 200 Hz, I
>> have a couple of friends working on the retina that would be most
>> interested in such a physiological anomality. ;)
>
> How about my tuning fork? That says "440 Hz" on it, and I can see that
> vibrating plainly enough... ;-)
Again the question is if you see the 440 Hz or a much lower frequency
wobble. The ends of the fork should be a little wider and a little
transparent. Anyway I think what you see is that it is moving, not the
movement itself.

> (Oddly though, it doesn't seem to make much audible sound, despite the
> ends of the fork traversing really quite some distance. I can only
> surmise that it doesn't move the air around very much or something...)

Perhaps otherwise it would loose energy too fast and the tone would die
out quickly.