POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Gamma Settings Server Time
27 Jun 2024 17:17:46 EDT (-0400)
  Gamma Settings (Message 11 to 20 of 22)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 2 Messages >>>
From: Christian Froeschlin
Subject: Re: Gamma Settings
Date: 5 Mar 2012 18:36:35
Message: <4f554e03$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:

> Strictly speaking, POV-Ray 3.7 doesn't introduce a fully new gamma
> handling concept at all; it just (1) obsoletes the 3.6 default of not
> performing any gamma handling at all

Does this mean if you already used assumed_gamma 1.0 in 3.6
then your rgb colors will render the same with #version 3.7?

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 5 Mar 2012 18:51:39
Message: <4f55518b$1@news.povray.org>
Am 06.03.2012 00:36, schrieb Christian Froeschlin:
> clipka wrote:
>
>> Strictly speaking, POV-Ray 3.7 doesn't introduce a fully new gamma
>> handling concept at all; it just (1) obsoletes the 3.6 default of not
>> performing any gamma handling at all
>
> Does this mean if you already used assumed_gamma 1.0 in 3.6
> then your rgb colors will render the same with #version 3.7?

Yes.

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 6 Mar 2012 12:01:56
Message: <4f564304@news.povray.org>
> It might make /some/ sense to add a kind of "prgb" keyword; the rgb
> keyword actually means "physical colors" /only/ if assumed_gamma is set
> to 1.0. This interpretation of "rgb" is backward compatible with 3.6.

  I don't think "rgb" is generally considered to describe the amount of
radiant energy (measured in Joules) reflected by a surface (so that for
example "rgb 0.5" means that the surface reflects half of the incoming
radiant energy), but rather the *perceived* color of the surface (iow.
"rgb 0.5" means that the surface *looks* exactly half as bright as
"rgb 1").

  Measuring things in terms of perceived brightness is way more common than
in terms of absolute radiant energy. For instance, most SI units related to
light, such as the lux and the candela, measure perceived brightness.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>    I don't think "rgb" is generally considered to describe the amount of
> radiant energy (measured in Joules) reflected by a surface (so that for
> example "rgb 0.5" means that the surface reflects half of the incoming
> radiant energy), but rather the *perceived* color of the surface (iow.
> "rgb 0.5" means that the surface *looks* exactly half as bright as
> "rgb 1").
>
>    Measuring things in terms of perceived brightness is way more common than
> in terms of absolute radiant energy. For instance, most SI units related to
> light, such as the lux and the candela, measure perceived brightness.

Careful when using those terms: While the luminous flux (measured in
lux) and luminous intensity (measured in candela) do include some
correction to account for /some/ peculiarities of human perception,
these are limited to wavelength-dependent weighting, and doesn't account
for gamma-like effects. For any given hue and saturation, the units
still represent light intensity /linearly/.

Thus, a luminous flux of 0.5 lux is still perceived as about 73% as
bright as a flux of 1.0 lux.

Post a reply to this message