POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Gamma Settings : Re: Gamma Settings Server Time
30 Jun 2024 04:40:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma Settings
From: JamesB7271
Date: 8 Mar 2012 20:00:02
Message: <web.4f595563e3adea41345179960@news.povray.org>

> > Ok, well in looking at all the include files from the folder
> > "POV-Ray\v3.7\include" (stones1, stones2, textures, colors, etc) they all say
> > they're for version 3.5. Are they the wrong ones to be using with 3.7?
>
> They're the official ones that come with 3.7, if that's what you're
> asking. That doesn't mean they're ideal for 3.7 though.
>
> >> No, indeed not. I guess the proper solution there is to overhaul the
> >> standard include files to use "srgb" throughout.
> >
> > So are you saying I should do a Find and Replace for everything "rgb" and
> > replace with "srgb" in these include files?
>
> Maybe a good thing would be to copy the files (maybe name them
> "stones1_srgb.inc", for instance), and modify those copies.
>
> > Actually, most of the "rgb"
> > statements are "rgbt". whatever that means..
>
> Besides "rgb", which defines a color in terms of red, green and blue,
> there are also keywords that define the color's transmit and/or filter
> value at the same time; those are "rgbt", "rgbf", and "rgbft".
>
> The keywords "srgbt", "srgbf" and "srgbft" also exist.

Ok, I did a Find and Replace on my stones2.inc file (well the new
stones2_srgb.inc file) and replaced everything "rgb" with "srgb". So "rgbt" now
becamse "srgbt".

That appears to have worked. The textures I was using for these sample renders
now look normal again (much richer color definition) instead of all washed out.

So the problem actually was a mismatch of version 3.7's new use of srgb and the
lack of srgb values in the old 3.5 include file 3.7 was processing. Correct?

Thank you so much everyone for all your assistance in clearing this up. I now
feel confident that everything is "right" so I can start moving forward..

Thanks,
-James