POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Custom shaders? Server Time
30 Jun 2024 14:46:40 EDT (-0400)
  Custom shaders? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: kursad
Subject: Custom shaders?
Date: 26 Jun 2011 02:05:01
Message: <web.4e06cb80fb4a2f131c1e3d720@news.povray.org>
Hi

Is it possible to write custom shaders from scratch with Pov-ray`s language? Is
this something that can be done only by patching the code base?

thanks

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: Custom shaders?
Date: 26 Jun 2011 06:00:07
Message: <4e070327$1@news.povray.org>
Am 26.06.2011 08:02, schrieb kursad:
> Is it possible to write custom shaders from scratch with Pov-ray`s language? Is
> this something that can be done only by patching the code base?

Some typical shader effects can be achieved using POV-Ray's various
patterns, most notably the "aoi" and "slope" patterns. Others can be
achieved by smart preprocessing (e.g. proximity patterns). POV-Ray does
not provide a dedicated shader language though, so for some cases it
might be necessary to get your hands dirty on the source code.

Post a reply to this message

> > Is it possible to write custom shaders from scratch with Pov-ray`s language? Is
> > this something that can be done only by patching the code base?
>
> Some typical shader effects can be achieved using POV-Ray's various
> patterns, most notably the "aoi" and "slope" patterns. Others can be
> achieved by smart preprocessing (e.g. proximity patterns). POV-Ray does
> not provide a dedicated shader language though, so for some cases it
> might be necessary to get your hands dirty on the source code.

clipka, thanks for your answer. I was thinking about writing things like simple
specular shaders, minneart shader etc for tests.

Post a reply to this message