POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Reflection of the object is white Server Time
30 Jun 2024 14:46:04 EDT (-0400)
From: gregtom6
Subject: Reflection of the object is white
Date: 21 Apr 2011 10:40:01

                     translate< 1,0,2>
                     }
              finish{ambient 0.45
                     diffuse 0.55
                     reflection 80}
             }// end of texture
     //interior{I_Glass}
   }
This material reflects a model, but in white color. What is the mistake?

Post a reply to this message

From: Trevor G Quayle
Subject: Re: Reflection of the object is white
Date: 21 Apr 2011 11:05:00
Message: <web.4db0468097bbfa3381c811d20@news.povray.org>
"gregtom6" <gre### [at] freemailhu> wrote:
> Hy all!
>
> My problem is, this is a material:
> #include "glass_old.inc"
>  #declare esemenyhor =
>    material  // esemenyhor
>    {
>       texture{ T_Green_Glass
>               normal{ripples 0.3
>                      //bumps 0.8
>                      turbulence 0.2+k
>                      //bozo 1.5
>                      scale 0.15+k*0.5
>                      translate< 1,0,2>
>                      }
>               finish{ambient 0.45
>                      diffuse 0.55
>                      reflection 80}
>              }// end of texture
>      //interior{I_Glass}
>    }
> This material reflects a model, but in white color. What is the mistake?

You have your reflection set very high.  Realistically, it should be no bigger
than 1.  A setting of 80 will multiply the reflected values by 80, washing out
the colour.

I would also set "ambient 0" to remove the ambient colour from the surface.

Additionally, for glass, I usually prefer to set "diffuse 0" and let material
attenuation and/or filtered colour to take care of the colouration.  However,
there may be some instances where you do want some diffuse to have the surface
coloured a bit (for example a slightly frosted glass or a translucent film or
paint over the glass)

Make ambient 0 for one.  I also tend to use diffuse as 0 as well.

One other thing you may want to look at, is to use variable reflection with
'fresnel on'.  Fresnel bases the reflection variability on the material ior:

finish{
   ambient 0
   diffuse 0
   conserve_energy
   reflection{0 1 fresnel on metallic 0}
}

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

> This material reflects a model, but in white color. What is the mistake?

reflection 80!

That means that whatever is reflected is 80 times brighter than it should.

The value for reflection should always be in the 0~1 range to get
realistic results.
For a glass object, something like:

reflection{ 0.1 1 fresnel}

will give you the most realistic results, with conserve_energy in the
finish.
Uncomment the interior statement for the fresnel to work.

Alain