POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : prisms Server Time
5 Jul 2024 04:49:36 EDT (-0400)
  prisms (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: colaroid
Subject: prisms
Date: 8 Nov 2009 13:00:01
Message: <web.4af706cd30344421bd48476d0@news.povray.org>
can someone explain to me some of the notation in the pov-ray help files. I
looked in the help for how to make a prism and it gave this:

PRISM:
 { [PRISM_ITEMS] F_HEIGHT1, F_HEIGHT2, I_NUM_POINTS, POINT_LIST [open]
[PRISM_MODIFIERS] }
PRISM_ITEMS:
[PRISM_SPLINE_TYPE] & [PRISM_SWEEP_TYPE]
PRISM_SPLINE_TYPE:
linear_spline | quadratic_spline | cubic_spline | bezier_spline
PRISM_SWEEP_TYPE:
linear_sweep | conic_sweep
PRISM_MODIFIERS:
[sturm [BOOL]] & [OBJECT_MODIFIERS]

what do the F/I and in other areas V terms mean? I can't work out how to do a
prism from this information

Please help

Thanks

Post a reply to this message

> can someone explain to me some of the notation in the pov-ray help files. I
> looked in the help for how to make a prism and it gave this:
>
> PRISM:
>  { [PRISM_ITEMS] F_HEIGHT1, F_HEIGHT2, I_NUM_POINTS, POINT_LIST [open]
> [PRISM_MODIFIERS] }
> PRISM_ITEMS:
> [PRISM_SPLINE_TYPE] & [PRISM_SWEEP_TYPE]
> PRISM_SPLINE_TYPE:
> linear_spline | quadratic_spline | cubic_spline | bezier_spline
> PRISM_SWEEP_TYPE:
> linear_sweep | conic_sweep
> PRISM_MODIFIERS:
> [sturm [BOOL]] & [OBJECT_MODIFIERS]
>
> what do the F/I and in other areas V terms mean? I can't work out how to do a
> prism from this information

F_*, I_* and V_* indicate that the parameter is to be a floating-point
value, an integer value, or a vector value, respectively.

"[FOO]" means that the respective parameter or parameter group is optional.

"FOO | BAR" means that you must specify either "FOO" or "BAR".

I'm not sure off the top of my hat whether "FOO & BAR" denotes that you
must specify "FOO" followed by "BAR", or whether you can specify them in
any order. I think it's the former.

Post a reply to this message

> "[FOO]" means that the respective parameter or parameter group is optional.
>
> "FOO | BAR" means that you must specify either "FOO" or "BAR".

In case you have not heard the terms FOO and BAR before

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foobar

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen