POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : isosurface rendering of volume data Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:22:06 EDT (-0400)
  isosurface rendering of volume data (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: sanjay
Subject: isosurface rendering of volume data
Date: 29 Jun 2009 07:40:01
Message: <web.4a48a7cb766b3115b8711ff20@news.povray.org>
I have a stack of binary images i.e each image is a 2D array and all such images
combined to give a 3D array.
I had previously used MATLAB's isosurface,isocaps and patch functions to
get the visualisation of the volume data, but its too slow.
Is there a way by which I can import such a 3D volume data from matlab to POV
ray and then extract the isosurfaces from that data and render it ?

Post a reply to this message

> I have a stack of binary images i.e each image is a 2D array and all such images
> combined to give a 3D array.
> I had previously used MATLAB's isosurface,isocaps and patch functions to
> get the visualisation of the volume data, but its too slow.
> Is there a way by which I can import such a 3D volume data from matlab to POV
> ray and then extract the isosurfaces from that data and render it ?

Convert those image into the TGA format and use a tga to 3df combiner to
combine them in a single 3FD file.

That file can then be used to generate an isosurface or as a density
pattern for a media.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: sanjay
Date: 30 Jun 2009 03:40:01
Message: <web.4a49c075fbeb1364b8711ff20@news.povray.org>
Alain <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote:

> > I have a stack of binary images i.e each image is a 2D array and all such images
> > combined to give a 3D array.
> > I had previously used MATLAB's isosurface,isocaps and patch functions to
> > get the visualisation of the volume data, but its too slow.
> > Is there a way by which I can import such a 3D volume data from matlab to POV
> > ray and then extract the isosurfaces from that data and render it ?
> >

> Convert those image into the TGA format and use a tga to 3df combiner to
> combine them in a single 3FD file.
>
> That file can then be used to generate an isosurface or as a density
> pattern for a media.
>
> Alain

Thanks Alain ..

I converted my images into tga format but I'm unable to combine them into a 3fd
file, searched the net a lot on this;

Can you please help

Post a reply to this message

From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 30 Jun 2009 04:15:01
Message: <web.4a49c88ffbeb13646dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
"sanjay" <san### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Alain <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote:
> > Convert those image into the TGA format and use a tga to 3df combiner to
> > combine them in a single 3FD file.
> >
> I converted my images into tga format but I'm unable to combine them into a 3fd
> file, searched the net a lot on this;

It's a bit old, but should work:

http://www.users.on.net/~pod/df3/

Bill

Post a reply to this message

From: sanjay
Date: 30 Jun 2009 10:20:01
Message: <web.4a4a1eabfbeb1364b8711ff20@news.povray.org>
Alain <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote:

> > I have a stack of binary images i.e each image is a 2D array and all such images
> > combined to give a 3D array.
> > I had previously used MATLAB's isosurface,isocaps and patch functions to
> > get the visualisation of the volume data, but its too slow.
> > Is there a way by which I can import such a 3D volume data from matlab to POV
> > ray and then extract the isosurfaces from that data and render it ?
> >

> Convert those image into the TGA format and use a tga to 3df combiner to
> combine them in a single 3FD file.
>
> That file can then be used to generate an isosurface or as a density
> pattern for a media.
>
> Alain

I combined all my tga images into a .df3 file format
then i m doing this

#declare DENSFUNC=function
{
    pattern
    {
        density_file df3 "imoil.df3"
        interpolate 3
    }
}
isosurface {function { .2 - DENSFUNC(x,y,z) } }

but just a blank screen is rendered.
is my coding incorrect or do I need to alter the cam/light/threshold values ?

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 30 Jun 2009 10:58:56
Message: <4a4a2830@news.povray.org>

> Alain <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote:

>>> I have a stack of binary images i.e each image is a 2D array and all such images
>>> combined to give a 3D array.
>>> I had previously used MATLAB's isosurface,isocaps and patch functions to
>>> get the visualisation of the volume data, but its too slow.
>>> Is there a way by which I can import such a 3D volume data from matlab to POV
>>> ray and then extract the isosurfaces from that data and render it ?
>>>

>> Convert those image into the TGA format and use a tga to 3df combiner to
>> combine them in a single 3FD file.
>>
>> That file can then be used to generate an isosurface or as a density
>> pattern for a media.
>>
>> Alain
>
> I combined all my tga images into a .df3 file format
> then i m doing this
>
> #declare DENSFUNC=function
> {
>     pattern
>     {
>         density_file df3 "imoil.df3"
>         interpolate 3
>     }
> }
> isosurface {function { .2 - DENSFUNC(x,y,z) } }
>
> but just a blank screen is rendered.
> is my coding incorrect or do I need to alter the cam/light/threshold values ?

Your isosurface need some pigment otherwise, it use the default one that
is black.
Sample texture for the isosurface (add between the "} }":

texture{pigment{rgb<1,1,1>}finish{specular 0.5 roughness 0.001}}
//A simple shiny white texture.

You also need a light_source.
Sample light_source:

light_source{<0.9,0.7,-10> rgb<1,1,1>}

If you don't define a camera, the default one is at the origin and look
toward +z. You can create a camera or translate the isosurface in front
of the camera.
Sample camera looking at the center of the untransformed isosurface:

camera{location<0,0,-2> look_at<0.5,0.5,0.5>}

You may need to translate and scale the isosurface as the function is
deffined in a cube going from <0,0,0> to <1,1,1>. Deffining the
container as:
box{0,1}
can improve the rendering speed as you don't sample undeffined regions.
Add after the function and before the texture:

contained_by{box{0,1}}

interpolate 3 is NOT valid. The only valid values are 0, 2 and 4.
interpolate 0 is no interpolation. It gives a blocky aspect and causes
the max_gradient to be extremely large.
interpolate 2 is bi-linear interpolation. Nice smooth shape.
max_gradient down to a reasonable range. You should use that value most
of the time.
interpolate 4 is bicubic interpolation and is buggy. Used properly, it
gives the best results. Will gives horible result if there are abrupt
changes to zero or the maximum value.
A value other than 2 or 4 is interpreted as 0.

If you want to use interpolate 4, you need to make sure that the values
of the DF3 never reatch the extreeme values. Low values should be 1s or
2s. High values should be 253s or 254s (if using 1 byte per voxel).

Do a test render and look at the report for a mention about the
max_gradient. Add: max_gradient [a little less than the value reported]
after the function. (if the value found is 1250, a value of 1200 should
be acceptable)
Do another render.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Williams
Date: 30 Jun 2009 19:13:01
Message: <MQw1CADMvpSKFwzV@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it sanjay who wrote:
>Alain <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote:

>> > I have a stack of binary images i.e each image is a 2D array and
>> >all such images
>> > combined to give a 3D array.
>> > I had previously used MATLAB's isosurface,isocaps and patch functions to
>> > get the visualisation of the volume data, but its too slow.
>> > Is there a way by which I can import such a 3D volume data from
>> >matlab to POV
>> > ray and then extract the isosurfaces from that data and render it ?
>> >

>> Convert those image into the TGA format and use a tga to 3df combiner to
>> combine them in a single 3FD file.
>>
>> That file can then be used to generate an isosurface or as a density
>> pattern for a media.
>>
>> Alain
>
>I combined all my tga images into a .df3 file format
>then i m doing this
>
>#declare DENSFUNC=function
>{
>    pattern
>    {
>        density_file df3 "imoil.df3"
>        interpolate 3
>    }
>}
>isosurface {function { .2 - DENSFUNC(x,y,z) } }
>
>but just a blank screen is rendered.
>is my coding incorrect or do I need to alter the cam/light/threshold values ?

You may well need a higher max_gradient than the default value. Check
your messages pane to see if there's a warning to that effect.

Applying a pigment to your isosurface would help. By default it's black
on a black background.

Adding a light source to your scene would help. By default anything with
zero ambient looks black if it's unlit.

Adding a camera to your scene would help. By default the camera is
placed at <0,0,0> (which might possibly be just inside your object)
looking in the z direction.

Adding a contained_by won't improve the view, but might improve the
speed. The df3 exists in the positive octant of the unit sphere

Try this (adjusting max_gradient if you still get warnings):

camera { location  <1, 0.5, -5> look_at <0.5, 0.5, 0.5> angle 14}

light_source {<-100,200,-100> colour rgb 1}

#declare DENSFUNC=function
{
    pattern
    {
        density_file df3 "imoil.df3"
        interpolate 3
    }

isosurface {
  function { .2 - DENSFUNC(x,y,z) }
  max_gradient 50
  contained_by{box{-0.01,1.01}}
  pigment {rgb 1}
}

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

From: sanjay
Date: 2 Jul 2009 02:35:00
Message: <web.4a4c54eafbeb1364b8711ff20@news.povray.org>
hey thanks a lot. it works now.
am trying to extract the necessary information from my volume data now.
i really appreciate the help.