POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Conversion of coordinates to heightfield Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:19:08 EDT (-0400)
  Conversion of coordinates to heightfield (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Grobi
Subject: Conversion of coordinates to heightfield
Date: 29 Jan 2009 01:40:00
Message: <web.49814ed57858db39eb381d30@news.povray.org>
Hello,

I would like to convert x,y,z-coordinates to either a heightfield a mesh or a
solid object.

The coordinates come in a format like this, with or without brackets:
{20,11.6751,0.071}
{20,11.6408,0.07}
{20,11.6066,0.0698}
{21,11.5724,0.0709}
{21,11.5382,0.0704}
{21,11.5039,0.0709}
{22,11.4697,0.0711}
{22,11.4355,0.0713}
{22,11.4012,0.0712}

(its NMR-cryoporometry data, for those interested ...)

I tried RapidDXF, 3DWin and several other programs without success.

Any suggestions ?

thanks

 Andreas

Post a reply to this message

"Grobi" <and### [at] boesmanncom> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I would like to convert x,y,z-coordinates to either a heightfield a mesh
> or a
> solid object.
>
> The coordinates come in a format like this, with or without brackets:
> {20,11.6751,0.071}
> {20,11.6408,0.07}
> {20,11.6066,0.0698}
> {21,11.5724,0.0709}
> {21,11.5382,0.0704}
> {21,11.5039,0.0709}
> {22,11.4697,0.0711}
> {22,11.4355,0.0713}
> {22,11.4012,0.0712}
>
> (its NMR-cryoporometry data, for those interested ...)
>
> I tried RapidDXF, 3DWin and several other programs without success.
>

> Any suggestions ?
>
> thanks
>
> Andreas

There are lots of alternative possibilities, so it largely depends on how
you need to represent the data. This small data sample shows a step-wise
increasing first value and a steadily decreasing second value, with the
third, presumably being the measured value corresponding to the first two
settings? I was sort of expecting some sort of regular grid-like scan, which
could be then plotted as a 3D graph?

It's pretty easy to get such data into a POV-Ray array, you just need to
replace the first bracket with a left chevron '<' the second with a right
chevron and a comma '>,' and top and tail it with an array declaration, as
in the example below.
Even for a very large file you should be able to do this in seconds using a
global replace function in a text editor (e.g. POV-Ray's integrated editor
on Windows). You'll need to get an accurate line count to be able to specify
the array size.

Then you can use it to create more or less any objects, colors etc. you
require. The very simple example below illustrates how you can loop through
the data using it to position and color some cylinders. It repositions and
scales the values to bring them close to the origin and into a similar order
of magnitude. It then uses the values as x,y,z coordinates to position
cylinders and also as RGB values to color them.

Regards,
Chris B.

camera {location <-1,3,-3> look_at <0.5,2,0> }
light_source {<-10,20,-50>, rgb 1}

#declare Data = array [9] {

<20,11.6751,0.071>,
<20,11.6408,0.07>,
<20,11.6066,0.0698>,
<21,11.5724,0.0709>,
<21,11.5382,0.0704>,
<21,11.5039,0.0709>,
<22,11.4697,0.0711>,
<22,11.4355,0.0713>,
<22,11.4012,0.0712>,

};

#local I=0;
#while (I<9)
  #declare OneValue = (Data[I]-<20,11.4,0.069>)*<1,10,1000>;
  cylinder {OneValue,OneValue+z,0.1 pigment {rgb OneValue/10}}
  #local I=I+1;
#end

plane {-z,-3 pigment {rgb <1,1,0>}}

Post a reply to this message

Grobi nous illumina en ce 2009-01-29 01:38 -->
> Hello,
>
> I would like to convert x,y,z-coordinates to either a heightfield a mesh or a
> solid object.
>
> The coordinates come in a format like this, with or without brackets:
> {20,11.6751,0.071}
> {20,11.6408,0.07}
> {20,11.6066,0.0698}
> {21,11.5724,0.0709}
> {21,11.5382,0.0704}
> {21,11.5039,0.0709}
> {22,11.4697,0.0711}
> {22,11.4355,0.0713}
> {22,11.4012,0.0712}
>
> (its NMR-cryoporometry data, for those interested ...)
>
> I tried RapidDXF, 3DWin and several other programs without success.
>

> Any suggestions ?
>
> thanks
>
>  Andreas

To use it with POV-Ray, you need to replace the "{" with "<" and the "}" with ">".
Once it's done, it can be made into a mesh object.

--
Alain
Database administrators do it with their relations

Post a reply to this message