POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : User-defined vector functions Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:24:21 EDT (-0400)
  User-defined vector functions (Message 1 to 10 of 18)
From: Mathuin
Subject: User-defined vector functions
Date: 5 Oct 2008 12:50:00
Message: <web.48e8ef33ae5e4190d8a103ef0@news.povray.org>
I used to think I knew more about POV-Ray than I apparently do.  Either that, or
this new project is introducing me to new corners of SDL and other interesting
things.

I find myself making sets of user-defined float functions because I can't figure
out how to make a user-defined vector function.  I end up with stuff like this:

#declare LocX = function(x) { x + 1 }
#declare LocY = function(y) { y * 2 }
#declare LocZ = function(z) { z / 3 }

I'd *much* rather have this:

#declare LocXYZ = function(x, y, z) { <x + 1, y * 2, z / 3> }

Any chance there's an easy way to do this?  Will I have to use a macro?

Post a reply to this message

> I used to think I knew more about POV-Ray than I apparently do.  Either that, or
> this new project is introducing me to new corners of SDL and other interesting
> things.
>
> I find myself making sets of user-defined float functions because I can't figure
> out how to make a user-defined vector function.  I end up with stuff like this:
>
> #declare LocX = function(x) { x + 1 }
> #declare LocY = function(y) { y * 2 }
> #declare LocZ = function(z) { z / 3 }
>
> I'd *much* rather have this:
>
> #declare LocXYZ = function(x, y, z) { <x + 1, y * 2, z / 3> }
>
> Any chance there's an easy way to do this?  Will I have to use a macro?

Judging from your previous posts, you seem to have some serious
misconceptions about the use(fulness) of functions. You may want to review
the documentation to learn more about macros.

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

On 05-Oct-08 19:20, Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> Mathuin wrote:
>> I used to think I knew more about POV-Ray than I apparently do.
>> Either that, or
>> this new project is introducing me to new corners of SDL and other
>> interesting
>> things.
>>
>> I find myself making sets of user-defined float functions because I
>> can't figure
>> out how to make a user-defined vector function.  I end up with stuff
>> like this:
>>
>> #declare LocX = function(x) { x + 1 }
>> #declare LocY = function(y) { y * 2 }
>> #declare LocZ = function(z) { z / 3 }
>>
>> I'd *much* rather have this:
>>
>> #declare LocXYZ = function(x, y, z) { <x + 1, y * 2, z / 3> }
>>
>> Any chance there's an easy way to do this?  Will I have to use a macro?
>
> Judging from your previous posts, you seem to have some serious
> misconceptions about the use(fulness) of functions. You may want to
> review the documentation to learn more about macros.

So your answers are: no and yes in that order? If so, why don't you just
tell him that and perhaps explain when to use and not to use macros and
functions? This is povray.newusers you know.

Anyway, there is apparently a feeling on what would be a logical
approach. There may be reasons why it is hard to implement now. Yet,
this kind of information is very important when designing POV4. If you
had though about it, you would have realized that povray.newusers is a
goldmine to find out how to change SDL4 to be more in line of what
'naive' people are expecting.

I know your style and I realise that you probably do not mean to sound
so arrogant and hostile. Newusers on the other hand may be scared away
from asking questions because of you. Even though most people here are
actually very friendly and helpful.

Post a reply to this message

> tell him that and perhaps explain when to use and not to use macros and
> functions? This is povray.newusers you know.

Yes, but this topic is huge and well covered in the docs, so starting there
is a very good idea for any new user ;-)

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message