POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : User-defined vector functions : Re: User-defined vector functions Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:20:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: User-defined vector functions
From: Reactor
Date: 7 Oct 2008 01:55:00
Message: <web.48eaf96a17cb998c3639c5980@news.povray.org>
"Mathuin" <mat### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> I used to think I knew more about POV-Ray than I apparently do.  Either that, or
> this new project is introducing me to new corners of SDL and other interesting
> things.
>
> I find myself making sets of user-defined float functions because I can't figure
> out how to make a user-defined vector function.  I end up with stuff like this:
>
> #declare LocX = function(x) { x + 1 }
> #declare LocY = function(y) { y * 2 }
> #declare LocZ = function(z) { z / 3 }
>
> I'd *much* rather have this:
>
> #declare LocXYZ = function(x, y, z) { <x + 1, y * 2, z / 3> }
>
> Any chance there's an easy way to do this?  Will I have to use a macro?

I tend to use functions only for pigments, isosurfaces, and the like.  If you
are using a vector function, then I presume you are describing a position/path,
color, etc.  Both splines and macros are better suited for this in my opinion,
splines if you have a series of points to pass through, macros if you have a
set function (or functions).

Remember that a function of three variables as you have listed will generate a
surface/solid, whereas it seems that you are looking for a single vector at a
given value for the independent variable t (or whatever you use).

-Reactor