POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : User-defined vector functions : Re: User-defined vector functions Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:33:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: User-defined vector functions
From: Mathuin
Date: 6 Oct 2008 21:55:01
Message: <web.48eac00c17cb998cd8a103ef0@news.povray.org>
> andrel wrote:
> > If so, why don't you just
> > tell him that and perhaps explain when to use and not to use macros and
> > functions? This is povray.newusers you know.
>
> Yes, but this topic is huge and well covered in the docs, so starting there
> is a very good idea for any new user ;-)
>
>  Thorsten

This isn't quite as bad as telling someone use the dictionary to find the
correct spelling of a word, but it was close.  I did look at macros (my
original message pointed out that I thought they might be the right solution)
but I wasn't sure and that's why I asked here.  I had previously used macros as
a way to replace repetitive bits of code and functions as a way to perform
repetitive calculations as that's how I've used them in other languages.  After
tinkering with macros I was able to solve this particular problem and now I
realize that I can do a lot with macros that I can't do with functions.

I have another problem/annoyance/what-have-you but that deserves its own thread
if I can't find the answer in the newuser archives.