POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Camera, object, and spline animation... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:23:37 EDT (-0400)
  Camera, object, and spline animation... (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: this is me
Subject: Camera, object, and spline animation...
Date: 21 Mar 2008 23:35:00
Message: <web.47e48bf3ad72005b7e7cb4410@news.povray.org>
Hello,

I've started to play around with Chris Colefax's spline macro, and here's what
I'm trying to do, and what I've noticed:

What I've done is define a spline - no problem there - a shiny metal sphere to
look at, and a camera - again, no problems here either.  I've placed the metal
sphere 5 units in the z direction, and the camera -15 units in the z direction
(x and y for each are, of course, 0 and 0).  Then, I animate both along the
spline according to Chris' tutorial.  Note that I use different values of auto
banking for each.  My goal here is to try to get some sort of chasing effect
where the sphere wobbles a little to the left and right around corners as the
camera trails (also wobbling a little to the left and right).

What I've noticed is the sphere stays dead center in frame, for a rather boring
and unrealistic chase scene.  So, my questions are:  Is my logic right
regarding the effect of the offsets, and of not, how would one place the camera
and sphere so the sphere appears to moves off axis as it races along the spline.

Post a reply to this message

> I've started to play around with Chris Colefax's spline macro, and here's what
> I'm trying to do, and what I've noticed:
>
> What I've done is define a spline - no problem there - a shiny metal sphere to
> look at, and a camera - again, no problems here either.  I've placed the metal
> sphere 5 units in the z direction, and the camera -15 units in the z direction
> (x and y for each are, of course, 0 and 0).  Then, I animate both along the
> spline according to Chris' tutorial.  Note that I use different values of auto
> banking for each.  My goal here is to try to get some sort of chasing effect
> where the sphere wobbles a little to the left and right around corners as the
> camera trails (also wobbling a little to the left and right).
>
> What I've noticed is the sphere stays dead center in frame, for a rather boring
> and unrealistic chase scene.  So, my questions are:  Is my logic right
> regarding the effect of the offsets, and of not, how would one place the camera
> and sphere so the sphere appears to moves off axis as it races along the spline.

I don't know the macro but you may do this by looking behind the sphere.
What the brain actually does is that it predicts (based on a linear
extrapolation) the object's position and looks there.

--
the ultimate time-killer:
+a0.0 +am2 +r9

Johnny D

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 22 Mar 2008 10:15:24
Message: <47e5228c$1@news.povray.org>
this is me nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2008/03/22 00:33:
> Hello,
>
> I've started to play around with Chris Colefax's spline macro, and here's what
> I'm trying to do, and what I've noticed:
>
> What I've done is define a spline - no problem there - a shiny metal sphere to
> look at, and a camera - again, no problems here either.  I've placed the metal
> sphere 5 units in the z direction, and the camera -15 units in the z direction
> (x and y for each are, of course, 0 and 0).  Then, I animate both along the
> spline according to Chris' tutorial.  Note that I use different values of auto
> banking for each.  My goal here is to try to get some sort of chasing effect
> where the sphere wobbles a little to the left and right around corners as the
> camera trails (also wobbling a little to the left and right).
>
> What I've noticed is the sphere stays dead center in frame, for a rather boring
> and unrealistic chase scene.  So, my questions are:  Is my logic right
> regarding the effect of the offsets, and of not, how would one place the camera
> and sphere so the sphere appears to moves off axis as it races along the spline.

Check the look_at of the camera. Does it corespond to the sphere location?
You may try to use a look_at point that is much closer to the camera, or
somewhat ahead of the target sphere.

--
Alain
I abhor war and view it as the greatest scourge of mankind.