POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Negative reaction to light sources Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:26:26 EDT (-0400)
  Negative reaction to light sources (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Sudrien
Subject: Negative reaction to light sources
Date: 19 Feb 2008 01:35:00
Message: <web.47ba77f6c8fefbc496f6ef730@news.povray.org>
Doing the usual earth render to re-acquaint myself - trying to use all the
image-map types I can find. Specifically, this question is about the nighttime
maps.
They react the opposite way, in general, as normal objects - You don't see them
in direct light (lights are off), but they are obvious when there is no natural
light source (on at night).

As it is a reaction to the main light source, it's not the same as a second
light source... and it isn't a simple ambiance problem, as they shouldn't be
visible in daytime...

So, what can I do to get the right effect?

-Sud.

========

/*
Based off "Earth Scene File by Constantine Thomas"

Sudrien
*/

camera{
  location <75000,75000,0>
  direction<0,0,5>
  look_at  <0,0,0>
  rotate <0,40,0>
}

// create a regular point light source
light_source
{
  0*x // light's position (translated below)
  color red 1.0  green 1.0  blue 1.0  // light's color
  looks_like {sphere {0*x, 696265 pigment {color <0,0,0>} finish {ambient 1}}}
  translate <150000000, 0, 0>
  rotate <0,30,0>
}

#declare Earth=
union {

//Land map
  sphere { 0, 6378.01
    texture{
      image_pattern { jpeg "earthspec1k.jpg"  map_type 1 interpolate 2  }
      texture_map {
        [0.0
          pigment {image_map {jpeg "earthmap1k.jpg" map_type 1 interpolate 2 }}
          normal {bump_map { jpeg "earthbump1k.jpg" map_type 1 interpolate 2
bump_size 15.0 }}
          finish {ambient 0.2 diffuse 1}
          ]
        [1.0
          pigment {image_map {jpeg "earthmap1k.jpg" map_type 1 interpolate 2 }}
          normal {bump_map { jpeg "earthbump1k.jpg" map_type 1 interpolate 2
bump_size 15.0 }}
          finish {ambient 0.1 diffuse 1 specular 0.1 roughness 0.01}
          ]
        }
      }

    }

  sphere { 0, 6378.011
    texture{
      pigment {image_map  {jpeg "earthlights1k.jpg"  map_type 1 interpolate 2
filter all 1 transmit all 0.8 }}
      finish {ambient -0.8 diffuse -0.8}
      }
    }