POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Help Installing Beta 25 Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:32:00 EDT (-0400)
  Help Installing Beta 25 (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Fulcrum77
Subject: Help Installing Beta 25
Date: 6 Feb 2008 21:30:00
Message: <web.47aa6cb2c3c5cb3b6034fc500@news.povray.org>
I installed the full 3.6.1 version of Pov-ray from the main page.  Now what am I
supposed to do with this beta 25 directory to get it to work?  I tried copying
the contents to the bin directory but that didn't work.  I would like this
version for SMP support since I'm using a quad core.  Thanks for the help in
advance.

Ryan

Post a reply to this message

> I installed the full 3.6.1 version of Pov-ray from the main page.  Now what am I
> supposed to do with this beta 25 directory to get it to work?  I tried copying
> the contents to the bin directory but that didn't work.  I would like this
> version for SMP support since I'm using a quad core.  Thanks for the help in
> advance.

The beta test is to benefit developers find problems, which requires
experienced users testing the software. If you are a new users to POV-Ray,
you should start with the latest release and not some beta version!

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

>> I installed the full 3.6.1 version of Pov-ray from the main page.  Now
>> what am I
>> supposed to do with this beta 25 directory to get it to work?  I tried
>> copying
>> the contents to the bin directory but that didn't work.  I would like
>> this
>> version for SMP support since I'm using a quad core.  Thanks for the help
>> in
>> advance.
>
> The beta test is to benefit developers find problems, which requires
> experienced users testing the software. If you are a new users to POV-Ray,
> you should start with the latest release and not some beta version!

1) exit POV

2) backup the 3.6 files in the pov\bin (make a subdirectory and copy them)

3) unzip beta files into a subdirectory of pov\bin

4) copy all the .pov, .txt, .ini, .jpg files from the beta to the pov\bin

5) copy the appropriate .dll and .exe files for your platform to the
pov/bin (probably pvengine64.exe, povcmax64.dll, and cmedit64.dll)

6) remove the files from the pov\bin for the wrong platform
(probably pvengine32.exe povcmax32.dll, and cmedit32.dll)

7) copy pvtools.ini from pov\ini to C:\Documents and Settings\
user\Application Data\POV-Ray for Windows\

8) run POV

9) reverse process to revert to 3.6 if a scene doesn't render right (it's a
beta)

*On Vista POV should not be installed to the C:\Program Files\pov directory,
which was the default for XP. Vista limits the use of .ini files and ignores
proper requests to read and edit .ini files for programs installed there.

Post a reply to this message