POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Help Installing Beta 25 : Re: Help Installing Beta 25 Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:23:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help Installing Beta 25
From: Tim Attwood
Date: 7 Feb 2008 17:46:06
Message: <47ab8a2e$1@news.povray.org>
>> I installed the full 3.6.1 version of Pov-ray from the main page.  Now
>> what am I
>> supposed to do with this beta 25 directory to get it to work?  I tried
>> copying
>> the contents to the bin directory but that didn't work.  I would like
>> this
>> version for SMP support since I'm using a quad core.  Thanks for the help
>> in
>> advance.
>
> The beta test is to benefit developers find problems, which requires
> experienced users testing the software. If you are a new users to POV-Ray,
> you should start with the latest release and not some beta version!

1) exit POV

2) backup the 3.6 files in the pov\bin (make a subdirectory and copy them)

3) unzip beta files into a subdirectory of pov\bin

4) copy all the .pov, .txt, .ini, .jpg files from the beta to the pov\bin

5) copy the appropriate .dll and .exe files for your platform to the
pov/bin (probably pvengine64.exe, povcmax64.dll, and cmedit64.dll)

6) remove the files from the pov\bin for the wrong platform
(probably pvengine32.exe povcmax32.dll, and cmedit32.dll)

7) copy pvtools.ini from pov\ini to C:\Documents and Settings\
user\Application Data\POV-Ray for Windows\

8) run POV

9) reverse process to revert to 3.6 if a scene doesn't render right (it's a
beta)

*On Vista POV should not be installed to the C:\Program Files\pov directory,
which was the default for XP. Vista limits the use of .ini files and ignores
proper requests to read and edit .ini files for programs installed there.