POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : V3.6 and versions past Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:18:25 EDT (-0400)
  V3.6 and versions past (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: tgl
Subject: V3.6 and versions past
Date: 19 Dec 2007 05:15:01
Message: <web.4768eed7ed87c11c829ff420@news.povray.org>
Hello friends
 I've been an infrequent user of Povray for quite a few years and although I'm
no master I'm amazed at what I can do with this program. I have recently been
sorting through old files composed and rendered in Pov versions 3.1 to 3.5 and
re-rendering them in 3.6 with camera angle changes. The results are strange in
that there appears to be a division line in the middle of the object or
background or both. It seems to have something to do with colour maps or
graduated textures but what it is exactly...
 Any ideas, anyone?
 Thanx tgl

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 05:13:43 EST, "tgl" <aub### [at] sympaticoca> wrote:

> Hello friends
> I've been an infrequent user of Povray for quite a few years and although I'm
>no master I'm amazed at what I can do with this program. I have recently been
>sorting through old files composed and rendered in Pov versions 3.1 to 3.5 and
>re-rendering them in 3.6 with camera angle changes. The results are strange in
>that there appears to be a division line in the middle of the object or
>background or both. It seems to have something to do with colour maps or
>graduated textures but what it is exactly...
> Any ideas, anyone?
> Thanx tgl

Posting an image in povray.binaries.images would illustrate what you are
describing.

Regards
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 19 Dec 2007 05:55:01
Message: <web.4768f7e9af847649731f01d10@news.povray.org>
"tgl" <aub### [at] sympaticoca> wrote:
> Hello friends
>  I've been an infrequent user of Povray for quite a few years and although I'm
> no master I'm amazed at what I can do with this program. I have recently been
> sorting through old files composed and rendered in Pov versions 3.1 to 3.5 and
> re-rendering them in 3.6 with camera angle changes. The results are strange in
> that there appears to be a division line in the middle of the object or
> background or both. It seems to have something to do with colour maps or
> graduated textures but what it is exactly...
>  Any ideas, anyone?
>  Thanx tgl

The gradient pattern is no longer mirrored about the origin since v3.5... this
could be the culprit.

http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/380/

If not, as Stephen said, an image illustrating the problem would be helpful!

Bill

Post a reply to this message

From: Gilles Tran
Date: 19 Dec 2007 05:55:26
Message: <4768f89e@news.povray.org>

web.4768eed7ed87c11c829ff420@news.povray.org...

The way gradient works has changed since 3.5.
See http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/380/

G.

> Hello friends
> I've been an infrequent user of Povray for quite a few years and although
> I'm
> no master I'm amazed at what I can do with this program. I have recently
> been
> sorting through old files composed and rendered in Pov versions 3.1 to 3.5
> and
> re-rendering them in 3.6 with camera angle changes. The results are
> strange in
> that there appears to be a division line in the middle of the object or
> background or both. It seems to have something to do with colour maps or
> graduated textures but what it is exactly...
> Any ideas, anyone?
> Thanx tgl

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 19 Dec 2007 10:47:44
Message: <47693d20$1@news.povray.org>
tgl nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/12/19 05:13:
>  Hello friends
>  I've been an infrequent user of Povray for quite a few years and although I'm
> no master I'm amazed at what I can do with this program. I have recently been
> sorting through old files composed and rendered in Pov versions 3.1 to 3.5 and
> re-rendering them in 3.6 with camera angle changes. The results are strange in
> that there appears to be a division line in the middle of the object or
> background or both. It seems to have something to do with colour maps or
> graduated textures but what it is exactly...
>  Any ideas, anyone?
>  Thanx tgl

Is your image using a gradient pattern? In older versions, it used the absolute
value of the distance from the origin, it's no longer the case. Depending on
your case, you may be able to get a good result using the marble pattern.

--
Alain
OK, so what's the speed of dark?

Post a reply to this message

From: tgl
Date: 20 Dec 2007 03:50:00
Message: <web.476a2c50af847649dc77890b0@news.povray.org>
"Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom> wrote

> The gradient pattern is no longer mirrored about the origin since v3.5... this
> could be the culprit.
>
> http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/380/

 Bill + Giles
 Thanx for the reference to the docs (Should have gone there in the first place)
but I'm not quite getting it. Is there no fix to revert gradient x, y or z to
negative integers?

Post a reply to this message

From: Gilles Tran
Date: 20 Dec 2007 04:06:17
Message: <476a3089$1@news.povray.org>

web.476a2c50af847649dc77890b0@news.povray.org...
> "Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom> wrote
>>
>> The gradient pattern is no longer mirrored about the origin since v3.5...
>> this
>> could be the culprit.
>>
>> http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/380/
>>
> Bill + Giles
> Thanx for the reference to the docs (Should have gone there in the first
> place)
> but I'm not quite getting it. Is there no fix to revert gradient x, y or z
> negative integers?

The fix is given in the doc: replace the original "gradient x" (or  y or z)
by "function{abs(x)}" to obtain the pre-3.5 behaviour.

Gilles

Post a reply to this message

From: tgl
Date: 21 Dec 2007 03:55:00
Message: <web.476b7e3faf847649a8b58b9b0@news.povray.org>
> The fix is given in the doc: replace the original "gradient x" (or  y or z)
> by "function{abs(x)}" to obtain the pre-3.5 behaviour.
>
> Gilles

 Yep
 Staring me right in the face. Thanks Gilles and everyone else for their input.
 tgl