POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : help about creating solid from planes and quadratics Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:16:11 EDT (-0400)
  help about creating solid from planes and quadratics (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Katherina
Subject: help about creating solid from planes and quadratics
Date: 5 Aug 2007 09:45:00
Message: <web.46b5d34598ab4ed7d7b596fc0@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I'm very new at Povray. I have data for forming a solid from planes and
quadratics. I want to form the solid.

I found plane and quadric commands to form  a plane and a quadratic, I used
Povray to render them.

But since they are infinite, how I will make them finite, and will I use
merge? union? bounded_by? Can you give a simple example of a solid formed by
planes and quadratics?

I have coefficients for quadratic object, if I form a matrix from
coefficients in the pov file, Povray can read from that matrix?Can you give
a simple example?

Thanks

Post a reply to this message

Katherina nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/08/05 09:41:
> Hi,
>
> I'm very new at Povray. I have data for forming a solid from planes and
> quadratics. I want to form the solid.
>
> I found plane and quadric commands to form  a plane and a quadratic, I used
> Povray to render them.
>
> But since they are infinite, how I will make them finite, and will I use
> merge? union? bounded_by? Can you give a simple example of a solid formed by
> planes and quadratics?
>
> I have coefficients for quadratic object, if I form a matrix from
> coefficients in the pov file, Povray can read from that matrix?Can you give
> a simple example?
>
> Thanks

If you intersect planes you can get finite objects. The intersection of a plane
and any finite object will be finite. The intersection of 4 or more planes will
usualy be finite, but may need some manual bounding.

Sample: intersection{plane{y,1}plane{y,1 rotate 90*x}plane{y,1 rotate
z*90}plane{y,1 rotate -90*x}plane{y,1 rotate -90*z}plane{y,1 rotate 180*x}}// a
box the hard way.

Quadrics are not laways infinite, it completely depends on the parameters used.
You may need to manualy bound some quadrics.
Take a look the shapesq.inc include file. It contains several predeffined
quadrics shapes.
Go to the portfolio folder and render the various scenes. They will create
references images from the various includes. Render o_shapesq.ini to generate
the reference pages and images for the quadrics.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when your ophthalmologist examines you

Post a reply to this message

From: Katherina
Date: 5 Aug 2007 11:00:01
Message: <web.46b5e50a91287afbd7b596fc0@news.povray.org>
Thank you.

the second part of my question still remains:

I have the matrices whose rows constitute normal vectors, and coefficients
of quadratics, isn't there anything in Povray so that when I define my
matrices, I can access elements say matrix is M, then M(i,j) is (i,j) th
element.

If there is no such thing, how to read data from a text file (I will put my
matrices in a text file)?