POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : HDRI question how to... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:36:18 EDT (-0400)
  HDRI question how to... (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: clarkking
Subject: HDRI question how to...
Date: 1 Jul 2007 19:20:01
Message: <web.4688354b94be5e05fac025e30@news.povray.org>
I would like to use hdri to illuminate an object and create realism through
using hdri lighting for my reflections, however I do not want any
background, not transparent but I dont want the hdri image to appear in the
background like i see in many images using hdri lighting.  I just want
portray the object but raise the realism of the texture using hdri.  I have
installed mega pov and using that now.  Can i do this with light dome macro
or a sky sphere?  I have an example image but dont think i can post in this
message.

Post a reply to this message

clarkking nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/07/01 19:14:
> I would like to use hdri to illuminate an object and create realism through
> using hdri lighting for my reflections, however I do not want any
> background, not transparent but I dont want the hdri image to appear in the
> background like i see in many images using hdri lighting.  I just want
> portray the object but raise the realism of the texture using hdri.  I have
> installed mega pov and using that now.  Can i do this with light dome macro
> or a sky sphere?  I have an example image but dont think i can post in this
> message.

As a light is not visible by itself, if you use the light dome technique, it
won't show in the background.
A sky_sphere is visible whenever any ray don't encounter any opaque object, it's
a background feature.
You may try a large sphere with the no_image atribute: that way, it's not
directly visible, but will show in reflections and refractions.

--
Alain
Secular Humanism: Shit evolves.

Post a reply to this message

From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 1 Jul 2007 21:25:01
Message: <web.468853e0f1afdbc93f38b1e60@news.povray.org>
"clarkking" <cla### [at] sbcglobalnet> wrote:
> I would like to use hdri to illuminate an object and create realism through
> using hdri lighting for my reflections, however I do not want any
> background, not transparent but I dont want the hdri image to appear in the
> background like i see in many images using hdri lighting.  I just want
> portray the object but raise the realism of the texture using hdri.  I have
> installed mega pov and using that now.  Can i do this with light dome macro
> or a sky sphere?  I have an example image but dont think i can post in this
> message.

My lightdome macro which uses 'real' lights rather than radiosity has the
option to turn off the sky sphere (the "SS" parameter) while keeping the
lights on.

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

From: clarkking
Date: 1 Jul 2007 23:55:01
Message: <web.468876bcf1afdbc991b289190@news.povray.org>
"Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> "clarkking" <cla### [at] sbcglobalnet> wrote:
> > I would like to use hdri to illuminate an object and create realism through
> > using hdri lighting for my reflections, however I do not want any
> > background, not transparent but I dont want the hdri image to appear in the
> > background like i see in many images using hdri lighting.  I just want
> > portray the object but raise the realism of the texture using hdri.  I have
> > installed mega pov and using that now.  Can i do this with light dome macro
> > or a sky sphere?  I have an example image but dont think i can post in this
> > message.
>
> My lightdome macro which uses 'real' lights rather than radiosity has the
> option to turn off the sky sphere (the "SS" parameter) while keeping the
> lights on.
>
> -tgq

Trevor do know of any useful tutorials for learning how to use HDRI lighting
techniques in POV (mlpov)?  I think im a little confused about a few things.

Post a reply to this message

From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 3 Jul 2007 21:45:01
Message: <web.468afb0ef1afdbc95e73ab330@news.povray.org>
"clarkking" <cla### [at] sbcglobalnet> wrote:
> Trevor do know of any useful tutorials for learning how to use HDRI lighting
> techniques in POV (mlpov)?  I think im a little confused about a few things.

Sorry, I don't know of any tutorials short of what has been posted here.  I
don't have the time to write up any at the moment, but I would always be
happy to answer any questions or help solve any problems.

-tgq