POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : POV ray file saving problem Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:34:55 EDT (-0400)
  POV ray file saving problem (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Johnny Paintbrushes
Subject: POV ray file saving problem
Date: 21 May 2007 20:15:01
Message: <web.465234bcca6dd88e4096edbe0@news.povray.org>
Hi,

Just started using POV ray with rheingold 3d and having a problem with the
location of the newly created image file- ie once the file has been
rendered, I just can't find it. The stated string doesn't tally-  2 folders
into the string it lists a folder and subsequent folders that don't appear
to exist. Doing a search in Windows for recently created files or bmp file
types doesn't get a result either. Anyone know how do you specify where you
want the file to end up?

J.

Post a reply to this message

Johnny Paintbrushes nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 21 / 05 / 2007 20:09:
> Hi,
>
> Just started using POV ray with rheingold 3d and having a problem with the
> location of the newly created image file- ie once the file has been
> rendered, I just can't find it. The stated string doesn't tally-  2 folders
> into the string it lists a folder and subsequent folders that don't appear
> to exist. Doing a search in Windows for recently created files or bmp file
> types doesn't get a result either. Anyone know how do you specify where you
> want the file to end up?
>
> J.

By default, the rendered images are always saved in the same folder as the
source file. It will also have the same name as the scene file.
So, you should look into:
\POV-Ray...\scenes\
Unless your source is situated in some other location, you should then look in
that location.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when you think 80s movies have the

Post a reply to this message

From: Leroy
Date: 22 May 2007 00:58:12
Message: <465277B6.8060800@joplin.com>
Alain wrote:
> By default, the rendered images are always saved in the same folder as
> the source file. It will also have the same name as the scene file.
> So, you should look into:
> \POV-Ray...\scenes\
> Unless your source is situated in some other location, you should then
> look in that location.

If What Alain wrote does'nt fix the problem.
Make sure that the POV's INI your using has 'Output_to_File=on' in it
or at lease doesn't have 'Output_to_File=off' in it.

Have Fun!

Post a reply to this message

From: Johnny Paintbrushes
Date: 22 May 2007 14:20:01
Message: <web.465333d67f09e69c4096edbe0@news.povray.org>
Hi Alain & Leroy,

Appreciate your help.

Sadly still not having much joy. Have tried moving the source file to other
locations but it doesn't seem to make any difference- the same string
always appears when Pov ray has finished writing.

C:documents and settingsownerlocal settingsapplication
datatb-softwarerheingold3Drender-exportmain-scene.bmp

Two anomalies with this- 1. when you follow the string, there isn't a local
settings folder within the owner folder and 2. even if I go straight to
rheingold3d within program files and look in the render-export folder,
there is just one 1kb file entitled dummy.

Leroy- have tried instructing output_to_file=on but not sure if I'm doing it
as you suggest. Do I change the INI file line? It currently says C:PROGRAM
FILESPOV RAY FOR WINDOWS V3.6RENDERER and then beneath that QUICKRES.INI

Have instructed output_to_file=on in the command line options box. Is this
right?

Cheers for whatever light you can cast- I'm a luddite & way out of my depth.

J.

Leroy <lrw### [at] joplincom> wrote:
> Alain wrote:
> > By default, the rendered images are always saved in the same folder as
> > the source file. It will also have the same name as the scene file.
> > So, you should look into:
> > POV-Ray...scenes
> > Unless your source is situated in some other location, you should then
> > look in that location.
> >

> If What Alain wrote does'nt fix the problem.
> Make sure that the POV's INI your using has 'Output_to_File=on' in it
> or at lease doesn't have 'Output_to_File=off' in it.
>
> Have Fun!

Post a reply to this message

From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 22 May 2007 18:09:10
Message: <46536a06$1@news.povray.org>
> C:documents and settingsownerlocal settingsapplication
> datatb-softwarerheingold3Drender-exportmain-scene.bmp

You need to enable display of "hidden" folders. Pretty silly
default output location, seems to be a problem of your
"rheingold 3D" software. In Windows Explorer, select
Tools > Folder Options > View > Show Hidden Files and Folders
Then click on "Apply to all Folders".

Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Date: 22 May 2007 18:30:01
Message: <web.46536de17f09e69c322e2d1c0@news.povray.org>
"Johnny Paintbrushes" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> Leroy- have tried instructing output_to_file=on but not sure if I'm doing it
> as you suggest. Do I change the INI file line? It currently says C:PROGRAM
> FILESPOV RAY FOR WINDOWS V3.6RENDERER and then beneath that QUICKRES.INI
>
> Have instructed output_to_file=on in the command line options box. Is this
> right?

I usually set such things directly in the quickres.ini file (I don't use the
command line very much.)

This may be a too-simple suggestion, but see if it helps:  Locate
quickres.ini in whatever folder it's in (most likely RENDERER)  and open it
in either the POV-Ray editor window or just a text editor. (Or, in POV-Ray,
go to TOOLS/RESOLUTION .INI FILE). You should see a list of entries that
look something like

[640 X 480]
Width=640
Height=480
Antialias=on
Antialias_Threshold=0.1
Display_Gamma=2.2

Check there to see if Output_To_File=off. If so, change it to on, or just
leave the entire line out altogether.

You can edit and add to the quickres.ini file any way you like, and even add
comments (preceeded by a semi-colon, not two slashes as in Pov_Ray scene
files.)

Hope this helps.

Ken W.

Post a reply to this message

From: Leroy
Date: 23 May 2007 01:16:42
Message: <4653CD8B.8060708@joplin.com>
Kenneth wrote:
> I usually set such things directly in the quickres.ini file (I don't use the
> command line very much.)
>
> This may be a too-simple suggestion, but see if it helps:  Locate
> quickres.ini in whatever folder it's in (most likely RENDERER)  and open it
> in either the POV-Ray editor window or just a text editor. (Or, in POV-Ray,
> go to TOOLS/RESOLUTION .INI FILE). You should see a list of entries that
> look something like
>
> [640 X 480]
> Width=640
> Height=480
> Antialias=on
> Antialias_Threshold=0.1
> Display_Gamma=2.2
>
> Check there to see if Output_To_File=off. If so, change it to on, or just
> leave the entire line out altogether.
>
> You can edit and add to the quickres.ini file any way you like, and even add
> comments (preceeded by a semi-colon, not two slashes as in Pov_Ray scene
> files.)
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Ken W.

Hey Kenneth, you took the words right out of my mouth.
  Except I'd make a copy of quickres.ini renamed and edit that.

  And if Jonny's using 'quickres.ini' then something else is happening.
  Christen advice may do the trick.
Have fun!

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Attwood
Date: 23 May 2007 16:03:25
Message: <46549e0d$1@news.povray.org>
What version of windows are you using?
It's my understanding that threre are some
minor problems with Vista which require
PovRay to not be installed to the
Program Files directory on the root
(which was the correct default install spot
in Windows before Vista).

Post a reply to this message

From: Johnny Paintbrushes
Date: 26 May 2007 09:20:01
Message: <web.465832e27f09e69c32d704690@news.povray.org>
Cracked it .

It was indeed a hidden files issue. Thought I'd already taken care of this.
Windows is the operating equivalent of a nanny state- it just doesn't trust
users to view its core files without deleting them does it.

Anyway thanks for all your guys help- especially Christian's advice.

Can get on with some work now.

Cheers

Johnny

From: St
Date: 26 May 2007 15:54:56
Message: <46589090@news.povray.org>
"Johnny Paintbrushes" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message

> Can get on with some work now.

   Cool. Do we get to see the image? I'm curious now.  ;)

     ~Steve~