POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Povray on mac crashing Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:29:52 EDT (-0400)
  Povray on mac crashing (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: thuthon
Subject: Povray on mac crashing
Date: 4 Sep 2006 07:20:00
Message: <web.44fc0bbadeea2ee19b850880@news.povray.org>
I installed povray 3.6 onto my macBook pro. Whenever I try to open it, it
starts opening and goes as far as showing sort of a table named 'Messages'
and another named 'Templates'. Then it just vanishes and gives this
message:- "The application POV-Ray Mac 3.6 quit unexpectedly". I was
wondering if you could help me in this matter.

I have very little experience with povray and I've only worked on it on a
Linux based machine.

Thanks

Post a reply to this message

> I installed povray 3.6 onto my macBook pro. Whenever I try to open it, it
> starts opening and goes as far as showing sort of a table named 'Messages'
> and another named 'Templates'. Then it just vanishes and gives this
> message:- "The application POV-Ray Mac 3.6 quit unexpectedly". I was
> wondering if you could help me in this matter.

  Even though MacOS X *should* be able to run older MacOS software even
in the new intel macs, I still wonder if that problem you describe could
be caused by this...

> I have very little experience with povray and I've only worked on it on a
> Linux based machine.

  If you don't mind using povray in the linux-way, you can always
download the source distribution and compile it as a command-line
version (like in linux), assuming you have gcc (or any similar
compiler) installed. MacOS X *is* basically a unix, so it should
work.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> > I installed povray 3.6 onto my macBook pro. Whenever I try to open it, it
> > starts opening and goes as far as showing sort of a table named 'Messages'
> > and another named 'Templates'. Then it just vanishes and gives this
> > message:- "The application POV-Ray Mac 3.6 quit unexpectedly". I was
> > wondering if you could help me in this matter.
>
>   Even though MacOS X *should* be able to run older MacOS software even
> in the new intel macs, I still wonder if that problem you describe could
> be caused by this...
>
> > I have very little experience with povray and I've only worked on it on a
> > Linux based machine.
>
>   If you don't mind using povray in the linux-way, you can always
> download the source distribution and compile it as a command-line
> version (like in linux), assuming you have gcc (or any similar
> compiler) installed. MacOS X *is* basically a unix, so it should
> work.
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp
So I should be able to compile it on XCode?

Thanks

Post a reply to this message

From: thuthon
Date: 4 Sep 2006 11:55:00
Message: <web.44fc4c19acb2a8b619b850880@news.povray.org>
"thuthon" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> > thuthon <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > > I installed povray 3.6 onto my macBook pro. Whenever I try to open it, it
> > > starts opening and goes as far as showing sort of a table named 'Messages'
> > > and another named 'Templates'. Then it just vanishes and gives this
> > > message:- "The application POV-Ray Mac 3.6 quit unexpectedly". I was
> > > wondering if you could help me in this matter.
> >
> >   Even though MacOS X *should* be able to run older MacOS software even
> > in the new intel macs, I still wonder if that problem you describe could
> > be caused by this...
> >
> > > I have very little experience with povray and I've only worked on it on a
> > > Linux based machine.
> >
> >   If you don't mind using povray in the linux-way, you can always
> > download the source distribution and compile it as a command-line
> > version (like in linux), assuming you have gcc (or any similar
> > compiler) installed. MacOS X *is* basically a unix, so it should
> > work.
> >
> > --
> >                                                           - Warp
> So I should be able to compile it on XCode?
>
> Thanks

I just downloaded and compiled povray source code for linux on to my macbook
pro. I followed the instructions given in one of the files that I unpacked
from the download using the following commands:-

% ./configure COMPILED_BY="your name <email@address>" [options]
% make check
% su
$ make install

It went smoothly without a glitch. But I cant seem to run povray. I typed
"povray +I picture.pov". There is a pov file named picture.

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 4 Sep 2006 14:34:29
Message: <44fc71b4@news.povray.org>
thuthon <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> It went smoothly without a glitch. But I cant seem to run povray. I typed
> "povray +I picture.pov". There is a pov file named picture.

  What does it say?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: thuthon
Date: 5 Sep 2006 07:15:01
Message: <web.44fd5c07acb2a8b619b850880@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> thuthon <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > It went smoothly without a glitch. But I cant seem to run povray. I typed
> > "povray +I picture.pov". There is a pov file named picture.
>
>   What does it say?
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

It says
-bash: povray: command not found

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 5 Sep 2006 07:56:28
Message: <44fd65ec@news.povray.org>
thuthon <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> -bash: povray: command not found

  Well, doesn't that tell you exactly what is the problem? The povray
binary is not in your path.

  Either copy the binary to somewhere in your path ("~/bin/" is usually
in linux systems, but might not be in MacOS X) or start it with the
full path. (If the binary is in the current directory, then "./povray"
or if it's in another directory then "/the/full/path/to/povray".)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 6 Sep 2006 06:00:01
Message: <web.44fe9b4aacb2a8b6731f01d10@news.povray.org>
"thuthon" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> I installed povray 3.6 onto my macBook pro. Whenever I try to open it, it
> starts opening and goes as far as showing sort of a table named 'Messages'
> and another named 'Templates'. Then it just vanishes and gives this
> message:- "The application POV-Ray Mac 3.6 quit unexpectedly". I was
> wondering if you could help me in this matter.

I've just obtained an Intel-based Mac, and I get exactly the same result.
DAZ Studio doesn't run either. However, if you're brave enough to try it,
the universal binary version of MegaPOV works perfectly.

http://megapov.inetart.net/download.html

Bill