POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Povray on mac crashing : Re: Povray on mac crashing Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:21:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray on mac crashing
From: thuthon
Date: 4 Sep 2006 11:55:00
Message: <web.44fc4c19acb2a8b619b850880@news.povray.org>
"thuthon" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> > thuthon <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > > I installed povray 3.6 onto my macBook pro. Whenever I try to open it, it
> > > starts opening and goes as far as showing sort of a table named 'Messages'
> > > and another named 'Templates'. Then it just vanishes and gives this
> > > message:- "The application POV-Ray Mac 3.6 quit unexpectedly". I was
> > > wondering if you could help me in this matter.
> >
> >   Even though MacOS X *should* be able to run older MacOS software even
> > in the new intel macs, I still wonder if that problem you describe could
> > be caused by this...
> >
> > > I have very little experience with povray and I've only worked on it on a
> > > Linux based machine.
> >
> >   If you don't mind using povray in the linux-way, you can always
> > download the source distribution and compile it as a command-line
> > version (like in linux), assuming you have gcc (or any similar
> > compiler) installed. MacOS X *is* basically a unix, so it should
> > work.
> >
> > --
> >                                                           - Warp
> So I should be able to compile it on XCode?
>
> Thanks

I just downloaded and compiled povray source code for linux on to my macbook
pro. I followed the instructions given in one of the files that I unpacked
from the download using the following commands:-

% ./configure COMPILED_BY="your name <email@address>" [options]
% make check
% su
$ make install

It went smoothly without a glitch. But I cant seem to run povray. I typed
"povray +I picture.pov". There is a pov file named picture.