POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Memory parse error Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:26:08 EDT (-0400)
  Memory parse error (Message 21 to 24 of 24)
From: St
Subject: Re: Memory parse error
Date: 24 Aug 2006 17:54:48
Message: <44ee2028@news.povray.org>
"Mike8" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
news:web.44ee10ac3fb029becd4320b90@news.povray.org...
> Hello all,
>
>   Well, even after giving POV-ray an extra gigabyte of virtual memory the
> file will not render. The program simply eats the extra memory and says
> 'Out of memory. Cannot allocate 256 bytes for transform'. I don't know
> what
> to do at this point, so if I posted  the file somewhere would you examine
> it? Perhaps you can find something I missed. This is some information that
> the message window displayed on the render:
> Line: 232177
> File Context (5 lines):
> object { atlas matrix <1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,1,1960,-592,1880> #if (version >=
> 3.1) material #else texture #end { Color7 } }
> object { atlas matrix <1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,1,-2880,-592,1880> #if (version >=
> 3.1) material #else texture #end { Color7 } }
> object { atlas matrix <1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,1,40,-1568,5545> #if (version >=
> 3.1) material #else texture #end { Color7 } }
> //
> }
> (atlas is a sub model in the scene)

> The offending line is the third line displayed above. I hope you can make
> sense of this, I haven't a clue what to do now. Thanks for your help,

      Well, this is why I was interested. I was getting very similar
messages with my scene, (and actually, that very same message that you
received as above too). The only difference between your scene and mine is
that your PoV file is a large SDL file, and my PoV file is only 25Kb's but
calling for around 1 Gb of Wings models. I've now corrected my problem by
reducing some of my initial  models (grass) in file size, and it renders.

     I'm thinking that you may have to reduce/play around with that Atlas
model in some way, but if it doesn't work, then sure, post (zip) the whole
scene somewhere and I'll take a look, (although, I don't have 3.1 installed.
I have 3.5 and 3.6).

       ~Steve~

>   Michael

Post a reply to this message

Mike8 nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 24/08/2006 16:49:
> Hello all,
>
>    Well, even after giving POV-ray an extra gigabyte of virtual memory the
> file will not render. The program simply eats the extra memory and says
> 'Out of memory. Cannot allocate 256 bytes for transform'. I don't know what
> to do at this point, so if I posted  the file somewhere would you examine
> it? Perhaps you can find something I missed. This is some information that
> the message window displayed on the render:
> Line: 232177
> File Context (5 lines):
> object { atlas matrix <1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,1,1960,-592,1880> #if (version >=
> 3.1) material #else texture #end { Color7 } }
>  object { atlas matrix <1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,1,-2880,-592,1880> #if (version >=
> 3.1) material #else texture #end { Color7 } }
>  object { atlas matrix <1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,1,40,-1568,5545> #if (version >=
> 3.1) material #else texture #end { Color7 } }
> //
> }
> (atlas is a sub model in the scene)
> The offending line is the third line displayed above. I hope you can make
> sense of this, I haven't a clue what to do now. Thanks for your help,
>    Michael

Is "atlas" a mesh? If so, try reducing the number of faces. You also may want to
reduce the precision to 3 or 4 decimal places, usualy, more than that is not
nessesary.
If it's a complex object, look to see if it can be simplified.
Those matrix are only used as a convoluted translate.
What is the deffinition of Color7? A texture or a full material? A material
contains a full texture PLUS an interior block that can contain one or several
media.
Applying the same texture or material to all those objects is wastfull, better
to group them all in an union and apply the texture or material to the union.
This will use less memory, possibly a lot less if you have 100's or 1000's of
objects.
You may want to use a text editor to change
#if (version >= 3.1) material #else texture #end { Color7 } }
texture{Color7}} or material{Color7}}

--
Alain
Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Post a reply to this message

From: St
Date: 30 Aug 2006 15:56:02
Message: <44f5ed52@news.povray.org>
"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote in message news:44ee2028@news.povray.org...

> ...post (zip) the whole scene somewhere and I'll take a look, (although, I
> don't have 3.1 installed. I have 3.5 and 3.6).

      I now have 3.1g installed.

      Interested in what's been happening since your last post? Have you got
your scene running yet?

      ~Steve~

>>   Michael

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike8
Date: 1 Sep 2006 22:20:00
Message: <web.44f8ea1c3fb029be50be7e1a0@news.povray.org>
Hey everyone,

   Sorry I haven't written in a while, the site wouldn't allow me to log in.
I haven't uploaded the file anywhere yet, and my computer still has no
success rendering the file. As to editing the code, that just isn't
practical: the code is generated by a third party program, and I'm trying
to use the model to make a movie. This means I will be rendering many, many
images, so I would have to edit every frame of the movie! I don't even want
to think about all of that code :) I'll let you know when I upload the
file.
Thanks again,
   Michael