POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : An image_map on the whole box? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:11:32 EDT (-0400)
  An image_map on the whole box? (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: MSAB
Subject: An image_map on the whole box?
Date: 19 Jul 2006 07:00:01
Message: <web.44be105035a75dd650c9b38a0@news.povray.org>
Hi,
when I use a image_map as a texture for a box, then of course I can't see on
at least one side of the box the correct image.
So, my question is, if it is possible, to translate, scale, rotate or
whatever, to see the image on every side of the box?

Here's the expample of my problem:
http://three.fsphost.com/MSAB5/PC_problem.JPG

Post a reply to this message

possibility 1: rotate the image_map by <45,45,0>
possibility 2: use a mesh or mesh2 with uv_mapping instead of a box
possibility 3: use an intersection of (seperately textured) planes instead
of a box
possibility 4: use proceduals instead of image_maps

Hope this helps

Regards Roman

"Roman Reiner" <lim### [at] gmxde> wrote in message
> possibility 1: rotate the image_map by <45,45,0>
> possibility 2: use a mesh or mesh2 with uv_mapping instead of a box
> possibility 3: use an intersection of (seperately textured) planes instead
> of a box
> possibility 4: use proceduals instead of image_maps
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Regards Roman
>

> "MSAB" <MSA### [at] gmxnet> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> when I use a image_map as a texture for a box, then of course I can't see
>> on
>> at least one side of the box the correct image.
>> So, my question is, if it is possible, to translate, scale, rotate or
>> whatever, to see the image on every side of the box?
>>
>> Here's the expample of my problem:
>> http://three.fsphost.com/MSAB5/PC_problem.JPG

Possibility 5: (a bit of a cheat) would be to have 3 concentric copies of
the same object with the image rotated appropriately through 90 degrees on
each one. The one with the image correct on the x-plane should then be
scaled by <1.0001,1,1>, the one with the image on the y-plane by
<1,1.0001,1> etc. This won't handle every little piece of your surface, but
the main outer surfaces will end up with the right texture showing through.

Regards,
Chris B.

Post a reply to this message

>> possibility 1: rotate the image_map by <45,45,0>
>> possibility 2: use a mesh or mesh2 with uv_mapping instead of a box
>> possibility 3: use an intersection of (seperately textured) planes instead
>> of a box
>> possibility 4: use proceduals instead of image_maps
> Possibility 5: (a bit of a cheat) would be to have 3 concentric copies of
> the same object with the image rotated appropriately through 90 degrees on
> each one.

   Doesn't anyone read the documentation anymore? How about simply
using uv-mapping on the box directly? It's a supported object:

http://povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/358/

   If you use a repeating planar image map, scale it properly and
then apply uv_mapping, it will repeat the image on each side of
the box.

Post a reply to this message