POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Transparent label Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:25:35 EDT (-0400)
  Transparent label (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: begemotv2718
Subject: Transparent label
Date: 24 Jun 2006 01:00:01
Message: <web.449cc5d350bc555982bb0c420@news.povray.org>
I am trying to make a transparent bottle with a transparent label (i.e. I
want only the text of the label to be visible). When I trace the label
without the bottle everything is OK, only the text is visible. However,
when I trace this with bottle there is a distinct shadow on the surface of
the glass where the transparent part of the label begin. How to get rid of
this artefact?

The label is produced by the following code:
#declare label =
   difference{
    cylinder { <0,0,0>, <0,60,0>, 31.855
       scale 0.1
             }
     cylinder{ <0,0,0>,<0,60,0>, 31.853
         scale 0.1
     }
   pigment { image_map { gif "label.gif"
                    map_type 2
                    transmit 255, 1.0
                    transmit 0, 0.01
                    //once
                    interpolate 2
                    }
      scale 20*y
      rotate 84*y
       translate -8.5*y
   finish{
           reflection 0
           diffuse 0
           ambient 0
             }
}

The gif image is black text over the white background.

Post a reply to this message

begemotv2718 nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 24/06/2006 00:57:
> I am trying to make a transparent bottle with a transparent label (i.e. I
> want only the text of the label to be visible). When I trace the label
> without the bottle everything is OK, only the text is visible. However,
> when I trace this with bottle there is a distinct shadow on the surface of
> the glass where the transparent part of the label begin. How to get rid of
> this artefact?
>
> The label is produced by the following code:
> #declare label =
>    difference{
>     cylinder { <0,0,0>, <0,60,0>, 31.855
>        scale 0.1
>              }
>      cylinder{ <0,0,0>,<0,60,0>, 31.853
>          scale 0.1
>      }
>    pigment { image_map { gif "label.gif"
>                     map_type 2
>                     transmit 255, 1.0
>                     transmit 0, 0.01
>                     //once
>                     interpolate 2
>                     }
>       scale 20*y
>       rotate 84*y
>        translate -8.5*y
>    finish{
>            reflection 0
>            diffuse 0
>            ambient 0
>              }
> }
>
> The gif image is black text over the white background.

Try using a larger max_trace_level. The default of 5 is probably to small.
Try: global_settings{max_trace_level 7}

--
Alain
How much deeper would the ocean be without sponges?

Post a reply to this message

From: Mark Birch
Date: 26 Jun 2006 00:40:00
Message: <web.449f645c928df1574daddc090@news.povray.org>
I have to agree with Alain: increase 'max_trace_level' in the
'global_settigns' block.

Instead of using a difference of two cylinders, you could use one cylinder
with 'open' and 'hollow' modifiers.  This means less objects in the scene,
and less surfaces for the ray to pass through.

Post a reply to this message

From: NEWS
Date: 26 Jun 2006 04:40:11
Message: <449f9d6b$1@news.povray.org>
Your problem comes from that you apply an image map on a transparent bottle
(even if you use transparentpar of your label)
The problem you'll get is that the image is parse on the outside surface of
your bottle and also on the inside surface of the bottle ..(it's is not a
shadow that you see, but the inside projection of your label).

so. first solution is to build your label into a solide object and add it to
your bottle ..or

the Alain solution ..hollow object have no depth ..so no second image ..

or a mix one ..(a bootle into a hollow bottle) .;project your label on your
hallow bottle ..and texture your inner bottle as you wish ..

From: Alain
Date: 26 Jun 2006 17:53:42
Message: <44a05766$1@news.povray.org>
NEWS nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 26/06/2006 04:50:
> Your problem comes from that you apply an image map on a transparent bottle
> (even if you use transparentpar of your label)
> The problem you'll get is that the image is parse on the outside surface of
> your bottle and also on the inside surface of the bottle ..(it's is not a
> shadow that you see, but the inside projection of your label).
>
> so. first solution is to build your label into a solide object and add it to
> your bottle ..or
>
> the Alain solution ..hollow object have no depth ..so no second image ..
>
> or a mix one ..(a bootle into a hollow bottle) .;project your label on your
> hallow bottle ..and texture your inner bottle as you wish ..

Sory, an hollow object DOES have a depth. The purpose of hollow is to allow an object
to CONTAIN or
be filled by a media or fog.
map_type 2 is cylindrical maping, the image is applied to the cylinder and don't
replicate on the
far side of it, but will apears on the inside part of the difference of 2 cylinders.
To prevent that, you should apply it only to the exterior part, the large cylinder,
not to the whole
difference.

--
Alain
Adult, n.: One old enough to know better.

Post a reply to this message

From: NEWS
Date: 27 Jun 2006 03:48:53
Message: <44a0e2e5$1@news.povray.org>
By 'hollow object has no depth' , you will understand that a plain
hollow object don't have an inside surface..compare to a tube ...

From: Alain
Date: 29 Jun 2006 06:21:35
Message: <44a3a9af$1@news.povray.org>
NEWS nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 27/06/2006 03:59:
>     By 'hollow object has no depth' , you will understand that a plain
> hollow object don't have an inside surface..compare to a tube ...

Try that: an hollow object with texture{pigment rgbt 1}} and
inside_texture{finish{reflection 1}}.
A cylinder with "open" don't have end caps. Don't need hollow for that. hollow NEVER
change the
object's aspect.

--
Alain

From: NEWS
Date: 30 Jun 2006 06:38:17
Message: <44a4ff19$1@news.povray.org>
If you apply an image_map, image_pattern, or any image projection on a
transparent object ...
you will not have the same effect on an Hollow Cylinder .. or a Plain TUBE
..

you will see the image map 2 times on a plain tube ..instead of one on a
hollow cylinder ...

That what i have meant by talking about 'no depth' .... (note the comas) ..

I have compared a plain tube'  to an hollow cylinder ..... and not of course
a plain tube to hollow tube .which will kept the 2 image_map...